- Jaguar has announced the schedule for its 2013 Performance Driving Academy, being held at five racetracks around the country.
- The basic course is complimentary for recent buyers of XFR, XFR-S, XKR, XKR-S and XJ Supersport models, $1,850 for others.
- An advanced course, priced at $2,495, is available for those who have completed basic instruction or graduated from certain recognized driving schools.
MAHWAH, New Jersey — Jaguar has announced the schedule for its 2013 Performance Driving Academy, a complimentary perk for those who have purchased an XFR, XFR-S, XKR, XKR-S, or XJ Supersport within the last 12 months. The Academy will be held at the following locations:
- February 14-17 - Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas
- April 24-28 - Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, Nevada
- July 27-29 - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Monterey, California
- October 10-13 - Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Las Vegas, Nevada
- December 11-14 - Homestead Miami Speedway, Miami, Florida
The Jaguar Performance Driving Academy features two levels of instruction: the basic course, free to recent buyers, and the advanced course, which is open to graduates of the basic course or certain recognized driving schools. Others pay $1,850 for the basic course, while the advanced course is $2,495 for everyone. Prices do not include transportation and meals.
The idea behind the Academy is to allow "customers and enthusiasts to enjoy the full potential and power of these vehicles in an exhilarating and educational manner," said Andy Goss, president of Jaguar Land Rover North America.
During a full day of instruction, students drive Jaguar's high-performance models, the XFR, XKR, and XJ Supersport. In the basic course, they sharpen their skills in acceleration, braking, and cornering, before proceeding to laps at speed with driving instructors and then "hot laps" with professional drivers. The advanced course adds maximum braking, low-speed handling, skid pad maneuvers, and a handling oval. Sessions are recorded with a GPS tracking device for later analysis with instructors.
All the Jaguars used at the Academy are powered by 510-horsepower V8 engines coupled to ZF electronic automatic transmissions, eight-speed in the XFR and XJ Supersport, six-speed in the XKR. Their 0-60 acceleration ranges from 4.6 to 4.7 seconds, and lateral acceleration on the skid pad has been reported from 0.88g to 0.91g. So there's enough performance on tap to keep students interested...and enough to make instruction a good idea.
For more information, visit the Academy's Web site or call the program concierge at 866-513-7200. In the meantime, check out the YouTube video:
Edmunds says: The Jaguar Performance Driving Academy sounds like a fun way to improve driving skills and get the most out of your Jag, and for recent buyers the free entry fee is a bargain.