The RAV4 was modestly refreshed in 2016 with updated exterior styling and redesigned cabin, but it hasn't been fundamentally changed under the skin since it was introduced in 2013. The segment has heated up in recent years, though, and the RAV4's well-rounded middle-of-the-road-ness has left an opening for the competition. There are sportier or equally versatile choices that offer better fuel economy, but there isn't one single compact crossover that tops all the charts, so the RAV4 is still very competitive.
- Quiet demeanor on the road makes it a pleasant commuter vehicle
- Rides smoothly in a variety of conditions
- Plenty of cargo space for its size
- High-tech safety features come standard
- Modest acceleration from the sole engine offering
- Fewer easily accessible storage compartments than most competitors