Used 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

The 2014 Chevy 1500 LTZ is a very HOT truck
By Peter

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

With barely 40,000 miles on my 2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ the AC no longer works, and there are no replacement parts available ....period! Are you kidding you're General Motors and you can't fix your own trucks ? Thats right no parts at least that what their dealer told us. I know no one will believe this but sadly its true. Do you think maybe they ran out of AC parts because there's a widespread AC problem but they would rather not have a recall and they would rather not stand behind their product. So it's going to be a HOT HOT SUMMER !!! Now about that transmission, It's got to be the worst shifting automatic I've ever experienced in 50 years of driving. Especially in traffic, this transmission is a nightmare, it stumbles when it should accelerate and it downshifts with such force that it produces a very loud bang and jolt ( like someone just ran into you) and that violent a downshift just can't be good for it even though the Chevy tech said it's "not a problem". I'm not even going to get into the unfathomable displays and quirky software, navigation etc your better off just using your smart phone, that is if the bluetooth system in the truck is functioning. You know what, American car manufacturers have been building some really dependable cars and trucks for quite sometime now, but this truck, as pretty and comfy as it is, reminds me of the crap Detroit was selling us back in the 70's. Sorry but time for this consumer to move on. Chevy you failed this one and i don't think you'll get another chance with me.

Brake Issue at 25K on my 2014 Silverado
By Paul Kaminski

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 6A)

Since purchase there have been 7 recalls. The truck is very comfortable but I find the V6 auto to be very sluggish shifting on the highway. The vehicle vibrates at highway speed. The major issue to report is a braking issue. The brake peddle became very stiff and would not stop the truck. I had to stand on the brake with both feet to get it to stop. And when it did, it locked up..no ABS, no pulse, locked up solid. The Truck is 3 years old and has 25,800 miles on it, I called the dealer we towed it to and they said, I quote..The warranty expired May 31st (Today is June 26th... so 26 days out). The estimate was 1900 bucks. Frustrated, I looked on line and found Service Note PIT5361 regarding the same problem. I will not buy another Chevy again, seems they really don't care about safety or quality..

Great overall machine
By Paula Howell

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

From the experience at the dealership to the performance of this truck, there hasn't been one thing to complain about--so I won't.

Tough and Reliable
By Erick Matthews

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

3 years in and it's been my most favorite truck yet. It's well designed inside and out. GM really stepped up their game when it comes to the way the truck is put together. Comes with a bigger, tougher axle than my previous 2011 F-150. Great shifting transmission. Handles heavy loads with ease. I've gone over the payload rating by hundreds of pounds and it sat level, handled fine. The ride isn't as smooth as the Ram 1500 but I prefer a leafspring design as they tend to handle hauling and towing duties better. The new 5.3 lives up to the hype when it comes to reliability. GM appears to taken care of the oil consumption that the 5.3 was known for 5 or 6 years ago - zero oil consumption between oil changes. I disabled cylinder deactivation since new as recommended by most GM guys and my fuel economy wasn't affected. The interior is decent for an LT. Simple controls like a truck should have and it's amazingly quiet, especially compared to a 2016 F-150 I recently test drove that had a lot of wind noise. On to the cons: When temps dip below zero I get a rattle from the plastic piece on the dash near the window. Did a little research and it looks like a easy 5 minute fix. There's also the frame rust issue. It's a wax dipped frame, which is how every truck manufacturer used to treat their frame. I spray my frame every winter with fluid film and have zero rust despite long salty winters in the rust belt. I wish GM would paint the frames. In their defense, my 2011 F150's e-coated frame developed a lot of rust by the time I traded it in for this Chevy. The 07 Tundra I owned before the Ford had a nice painted frame and still developed very aggressive, flaky rust despite washing the salt off regularly. That's how I learned to fluid film my frames. It's been effective in keep things rust free. I've had to make 2 dealer visits so far, both times it was for recalls. I'm fine with that, as I would rather own a vehicle made by a company that actively fixes defects. I'm more concerned by companies that refuse to issue recalls (Ford).

42,000 dollar Junkbox
By J

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

All owners watch frame rusting issues.No recall but gm will do a half assed repair.seen small amounts of rust from day 1 .Didnt pay much attention to it.19000 miles got real bad noticed while replacing bumper.Just missed lemon law.Chips in paint on tailgate day 1.Leaky roof 5000 miles.6 Recalls to date.Front brake issue at 14000 miles one side only massive brake dust no warranty !! Always owned GM .No more