2019 Volkswagen Jetta Review
Which Jetta does Edmunds recommend?
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Ride comfort is on par with luxury cars
- Lots of places inside the cabin to store your stuff
- Beats premium audio system is excellent
- Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- Brakes feel grabby at low speeds
- Steering wheel controls take some getting used to
- Cabin feels more plasticky than others in the class
- Fully redesigned
- More in-car and safety tech
- New SEL Premium trim
- Part of the seventh Jetta generation introduced for 2019
Overall rating7.4 / 10
Early Volkswagen Jettas placed a strong emphasis on driving precision and an upscale personality. More recently, VW gave the Jetta a more practical and comfort-oriented direction, but it came at the cost of refinement. It wasn't an approach we were particularly fond of. The redesigned 2019 Volkswagen Jetta continues the trend toward greater size and comfort, but this time around quality hasn't been so obviously sacrificed.
The new Jetta is slightly longer, wider and taller than the outgoing model, with a longer wheelbase and shorter overhangs. The exterior styling is more distinctive, with sharp character lines, a larger grille, and a much larger presence on the road. There's more room and comfort for front passengers, though the trunk is slightly smaller this time around.
The interior design is certainly more modern. The Jetta's lower trim levels come with a 6.5-inch infotainment screen with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity. The more expensive trim levels get a larger 8-inch screen plus VW's Digital Cockpit, which is a fully digital and customizable gauge cluster. Almost every Jetta comes with useful driver safety aids, including forward collision mitigation and blind-spot monitoring.
For power, the Jetta continues to come with a turbocharged 1.4-liter inline-four (147 horsepower) that is connected to either a six-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic transmission. Acceleration is reasonably quick for the class, and the EPA estimates you'll get 34 mpg in combined city/highway driving, which is slightly better than last year. A sportier GLI variant is also available.
On the downside, interior quality still isn't all that great, and the car's grabby brake pedal makes it hard to stop smoothly. But given its improvements elsewhere, plus the smooth ride and roomy cabin, we think the Jetta is worth considering alongside other top models such as the Honda Civic, the Kia Forte and the Mazda 3.
2019 Volkswagen Jetta models
The 2019 Volkswagen Jetta is a compact sedan that's available in five trims. The base S aims to undercut its competition with a lower price point without sacrificing features. The SE model adds more convenience features, while the R-Line has similar features but with different styling elements. The SEL and SEL Premium trims add enough tech to turn the Jetta into a mini luxury sedan.
All are powered by a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 147 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. The base S comes with a six-speed manual transmission as standard, with an eight-speed automatic optional. The eight-speed auto is standard on the remaining trims.
Highlights for the Jetta S include 16-inch alloy wheels, LED head- and taillights, air conditioning, a 6.5-inch touchscreen-based infotainment system, a rearview camera, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, a USB port, Bluetooth and a four-speaker sound system.
An optional Driver Assistance package adds forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert.
The Jetta SE has those features as standard plus a sunroof, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, simulated leather upholstery, heated front seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, and keyless entry with push-button start.
If you want a slightly different look, opt for the Jetta R-Line. It has similar equipment to the SE, but it rides on 17-inch alloy wheels and replaces the chrome grille and mirror caps with gloss-black pieces. A unique rear bumper finishes the look. On the inside, contrasting stitching on the steering wheel and R-Line badges remind you of your purchase. To help improve the Jetta's traction when powering out of turns aggressively, VW's XDS, an electronic differential lock, is standard on the R-Line only.
With the Jetta SEL, buyers get a taste of luxury-car life thanks to high-end features such as adaptive cruise control, an eight-speaker BeatsAudio sound system, an upgraded infotainment system with an 8-inch display, satellite and HD radio, a fully digital gauge cluster (Digital Cockpit) and an extra USB port. Other safety items such as lane keeping assist, auto high-beam control, automatic wipers, and auto-dimming rearview mirror are standard as well. Oddly, the SEL drops back down to 16-inch alloy wheels, though you do get a 10-color adjustable ambient lighting system.
A Cold Weather package is available on SE, R-Line and SEL trims. It includes a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, a heated windshield wiper park zone, heated windshield washer nozzles, and remote start.
The SEL Premium is the icing on the cake for the Jetta line. It has the features from the Cold Weather package plus 17-inch wheels, leather upholstery, a power-adjustable driver's seat with memory settings, and a navigation system.
|Overall||7.4 / 10|
Noise & vibration8.0
Ease of use6.5
Getting in/getting out8.5
Child safety seat accommodation9.0
Audio & navigation7.5
Most helpful consumer reviews
Features & Specs
Our experts like the Jetta models:
- Blind-Spot Warning System
- Alerts you with visual and audible warnings if other vehicles are in your blind spot.
- Post-Collision Braking System
- Applies the brakes once the airbags go off to reduce the possibility of further damage during an accident.
- Forward Collision Warning
- Sounds an alert when a front collision is likely, and primes and applies the brakes if necessary.
NHTSA Overall Rating5 out of 5 stars
- Frontal Barrier Crash RatingOverall4 / 5Driver4 / 5Passenger4 / 5
- Side Crash RatingOverall5 / 5
- Side Barrier RatingOverall5 / 5Driver5 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Combined Side Barrier & Pole RatingsFront Seat5 / 5Back Seat5 / 5
- RolloverRollover4 / 5Dynamic Test ResultNo TipRisk Of Rollover13.1%
Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta Overview
The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta is offered in the following submodels: Jetta Sedan. Available styles include 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T SE 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T SEL 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T R-Line 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M), 1.4T S ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T R-Line ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T SEL Premium w/CWP 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T SEL ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 1.4T SEL Premium w/CWP ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A), and 1.4T SE ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A). Pre-owned Volkswagen Jetta models are available with a 1.4 L-liter gas engine, with output up to 147 hp, depending on engine type. The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta comes with front wheel drive. Available transmissions include: 8-speed shiftable automatic. The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta comes with a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. basic warranty, a 3 yr./ 36000 mi. roadside warranty, and a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. powertrain warranty.
What's a good price on a Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta?
Price comparisons for Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta trim styles:
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T S is priced between $16,499 and$22,998 with odometer readings between 1521 and67674 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T R-Line is priced between $16,999 and$24,998 with odometer readings between 8364 and91672 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SE is priced between $19,499 and$25,499 with odometer readings between 4088 and40173 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T S ULEV is priced between $17,825 and$24,950 with odometer readings between 351 and73655 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SEL is priced between $19,999 and$25,000 with odometer readings between 2877 and53309 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T R-Line ULEV is priced between $19,499 and$24,990 with odometer readings between 6698 and43572 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SEL Premium is priced between $20,499 and$25,881 with odometer readings between 20766 and56692 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SE ULEV is priced between $19,999 and$22,998 with odometer readings between 13248 and53239 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SEL ULEV is priced between $22,998 and$23,998 with odometer readings between 18170 and24487 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SEL Premium w/CWP is priced between $23,999 and$23,999 with odometer readings between 36479 and36479 miles.
Shop with Edmunds for perks and special offers on used cars, trucks, and SUVs near Ashburn, VA. Doing so could save you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Edmunds also provides consumer-driven dealership sales and service reviews to help you make informed decisions about what cars to buy and where to buy them.
Which used 2019 Volkswagen Jettas are available in my area?
Shop Edmunds' car, SUV, and truck listings of over 6 million vehicles to find a cheap new, used, or certified pre-owned (CPO) 2019 Volkswagen Jetta for sale near. There are currently 195 used and CPO 2019 Jettas listed for sale in your area, with list prices as low as $16,499 and mileage as low as 351 miles. Simply research the type of car you're interested in and then select a used car from our massive database to find cheap prew-owned vehicles for sale near you. Once you have identified a used vehicle you're interested in, check the AutoCheck vehicle history reports, read dealer reviews, and find out what other owners paid for the Used 2019 Volkswagen Jetta.
Can't find a used 2019 Volkswagen Jettas you want in your area? Consider a broader search.
Find a used Volkswagen Jetta for sale - 3 great deals out of 21 listings starting at $11,039.
Find a used Volkswagen for sale - 3 great deals out of 6 listings starting at $9,762.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen Jetta for sale - 7 great deals out of 17 listings starting at $14,327.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen for sale - 9 great deals out of 11 listings starting at $24,815.
Should I lease or buy a 2019 Volkswagen Jetta?
Is it better to lease or buy a car? Ask most people and they'll probably tell you that car buying is the way to go. And from a financial perspective, it's true, provided you're willing to make higher monthly payments, pay off the loan in full and keep the car for a few years. Leasing, on the other hand, can be a less expensive option on a month-to-month basis. It's also good if you're someone who likes to drive a new car every three years or so.