If the idea of owning an affordable German sedan sounds appealing to you, the 2017 Volkswagen Passat delivers as expected. At the same time, it also provides the American car virtues of abundant cabin space and ample features for the money. But if you're also expecting Teutonic refinement and engagement as part of the deal, you'll likely be disappointed.
- Big, easily loaded trunk
- Roomy backseat even for a midsize sedan
- Refined highway ride
- Quiet cabin
- Quick acceleration from four-cylinder turbo engine.
- Small infotainment touchscreens
- Transmission's sluggish responses
- Less engaging driving experience than many rivals.