2017 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Does not meet the high standards advertised
By W.L. Rawls

2017 Volkswagen Passat R-Line 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my second Passat. I had the 2014 model with the 2.5, 5 cylinder model that actually sold me on Volkswagen. I hadn't had a VW since my early days with several of the Legacy VW bugs. That one impressed me totally. Smooth ride, quiet, with a minimum of problems. (Battery died which I had to replace on my own dime, electronic steering issue which they corrected at no cost.) At the end of my lease, I decided to look at the Tiquan but found it was only half the size of my Passat, so I opted to go for the Passat. The Wolfsberg version was no longer available so I was directed to an R-Line version. I have not been so disappointed in a car in my life. It's a beautiful car on the skin, but inside, a total disappointment.It started off with one of the R-Line badges losing letters off one of the badges. So much for quality. Fit is okay at best. Not nearly as good as my previous Passat. The worst thing about the car is handling. Where my 2014 handled like it was on rails around corners, this one will slide out of a corner in a heartbeat, scary as it can be. The drivers seat is place slightly too far to the right and won't allow a square seating. Room for passengers is excellent. The climate control is very good for the front passenger and driver. The entertainment system is another huge let-down. It uses Android Auto and it has been nothing but a pain. I had it working recently but now it has died yet again. It's such a small display, controls on the steering wheel are useless in conjunction with the working of the phone, so all in all, it's there for looks only. The 1.8 engine is a joke for this size of a car. Even with the turbo, it's just not enough power for city driving. It's great on the road, but for the lack of power, it certainly seems it should get better that 25 MPG on the open road. My dealer is the worst in the business. The dealings with these guys has put me off ever considering another Volkswagen in the future. They've lost me for life.

Poorly engineered
By billsr

2017 Volkswagen Passat V6 SE w/Technology 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

2003 V-6 Passat: replace alternator, $1000+; replace motor mounts, $ 600+; etc

German bang for minimum bucks
By jfm4brnc

2017 Volkswagen Passat SE w/Technology 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Pay more attention to Passat... Overshadowed in this class by Camry and Accord. Interior quality far superior and unbelieveable fuel economy at 38 hwy.

Could not be better for the money
By Herve LeRoux

2017 Volkswagen Passat S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Great driver seating room (I am 6'4"), Excellent visibility. Controls could be better. Great A/C, heater. Could not be happier for the money.

Best value, feature rich and luxurious
By Rajat

2017 Volkswagen Passat SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

It is best in class and max value for money. Just need to focus more on brand building from reliability POV.