2017 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Passat R-line is the best looking sedan!
By Eddie

2017 Volkswagen Passat R-Line 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The Passat is a very nice car. Turns heads all the time. If only VW would make this car its own trim (already did for 2017 but for 2018 and on) with better specs and equipment. When I was car shopping for a large sedan, the Passat offered me THE space (for my son's car seat), good car looks, fuel economy, and great looking interiors. A few may say that the Passat is an old guy's car but in reality I am almost 30 and like that elegant/sporty look of what this 2017 Passat offers. Even better, the unique color, Urano Gray that my Passat has. Good job on that VW. Make this Passat a 2.0, give its own spotlight as the 2018 Passat GT without the ugly two tone seats, enhanced engine, PUSH button start, keyless entry/remote start, fender audio system preferably 1000 watts and basically the rest of the SEL Premium features and bammmmm! The perfect Passat. This car is great on gas. Accelerates super good. On a full tank the car displays 475mi and actually consumes 420mi (city/highway).

Great buy on new 2017 Passat
By Steven Bradley

2017 Volkswagen Passat SE w/Technology 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The dealer had a new 2017 Passat left in 2018 so it was marked down 10grand.Paid 19,000 for a very nice car.Drives excellent,really nice technology.Passat drives like a much more expensive German luxury sedan.Looks great with bright LED headlights,nice rims,and a classy look.I have driven Camry and Accord which are very nice cars but the Passat feels more solid and the safety ratings are excellent.

Looks great, driving comfort not so good
By Uncomfortable Passat owner

2017 Volkswagen Passat SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had been driving a 2007 Mazda 3 with over 216,000 miles when I decided it was time for a second car, I did a lot of research and comparison shopping. My decision came down to a toss up between a Passat and a Mazda 6, Passat is by far the best bang for he buck, the price on this thing just couldn't be beat. It's $31,000 car that I got for $20,000 with only 7500 miles on it and 1 year old. I will say that I love the look of the Passat, the technology is good, the drive is good, handling is ok when compared to the Mazda 3. The one thing that will make me trade this car in is the driver seat comfort, it is the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven, I've had the car for several months now and still cannot find a comfortable seat position. I have instant back pain every time I get behind the wheel. That is really my only complaint about the Passat, If I can find a comfortable position I will be in love with the car, if not I will continue to hate it until it's gone!

My first VW
By Amy in Austin

2017 Volkswagen Passat R-Line 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had this car for 2 days. So far I love it. The only thing I wish it had, was a sliding arm rest. I'm 5ft, and have the seat all the way forward to reach the peddles. I like to lean a bit over and rest my arm when I'm driving. I have to drive with both hands now. LOL.

Does not meet the high standards advertised
By W.L. Rawls

2017 Volkswagen Passat R-Line 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my second Passat. I had the 2014 model with the 2.5, 5 cylinder model that actually sold me on Volkswagen. I hadn't had a VW since my early days with several of the Legacy VW bugs. That one impressed me totally. Smooth ride, quiet, with a minimum of problems. (Battery died which I had to replace on my own dime, electronic steering issue which they corrected at no cost.) At the end of my lease, I decided to look at the Tiquan but found it was only half the size of my Passat, so I opted to go for the Passat. The Wolfsberg version was no longer available so I was directed to an R-Line version. I have not been so disappointed in a car in my life. It's a beautiful car on the skin, but inside, a total disappointment.It started off with one of the R-Line badges losing letters off one of the badges. So much for quality. Fit is okay at best. Not nearly as good as my previous Passat. The worst thing about the car is handling. Where my 2014 handled like it was on rails around corners, this one will slide out of a corner in a heartbeat, scary as it can be. The drivers seat is place slightly too far to the right and won't allow a square seating. Room for passengers is excellent. The climate control is very good for the front passenger and driver. The entertainment system is another huge let-down. It uses Android Auto and it has been nothing but a pain. I had it working recently but now it has died yet again. It's such a small display, controls on the steering wheel are useless in conjunction with the working of the phone, so all in all, it's there for looks only. The 1.8 engine is a joke for this size of a car. Even with the turbo, it's just not enough power for city driving. It's great on the road, but for the lack of power, it certainly seems it should get better that 25 MPG on the open road. My dealer is the worst in the business. The dealings with these guys has put me off ever considering another Volkswagen in the future. They've lost me for life.