2019 Volkswagen Passat Review
Which Passat does Edmunds recommend?
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Turbo four-cylinder engine accelerates quickly and eagerly
- Ride quality is quiet, cushy and comfortable
- Back seat and trunk are roomy
- Long warranty coverage is among the best in class
- Touchscreens are smaller than those with competitors' systems
- Transmission's sluggish shifting hinders performance
- Driving engagement is pretty dull
- Streamlined to just two trim levels: Wolfsburg Edition and SE R-Line
- More driver assistance features come standard on base trim
- Part of the fourth Passat generation introduced for 2012
Overall rating7.0 / 10
Evolution and innovation are priorities for automakers trying to keep pace with changing consumer tastes. But occasionally a model remains popular without continual updates and design changes. The 2019 Volkswagen Passat embodies the "if it isn't broke" ethos, soldiering on with the same look since the current generation debuted eight years ago. Most rival sedans have undergone the knife during that span, but the Passat's successful formula is a testament to its timeless style and practical personality.
Changes are on the horizon for the Passat, however, with a full redesign likely for next year's model. Unsurprisingly, changes for 2019 are few. The lineup is streamlined to just two trim levels, and more modern driver aids filter down to the base model. Eliminating multiple trim levels — last year's model offered six — means less flexibility for a buyer's budget, but the choice is easier: Do you prefer base trim or fully featured?
What hasn't changed are the ingredients of the Passat's successful formula: a roomy cabin, large and useful trunk, quiet ride, and easy-to-drive nature. The Passat isn't the go-to sedan if you're seeking flash, flair or a hint of speedy thrills. But it makes an excellent family shuttle, a car for around-town driving with friends or colleagues and a long-distance vehicle for road tripping in quiet comfort.
2019 Volkswagen Passat models
The 2019 Volkswagen Passat comes in two trim levels: Wolfsburg Edition and SE R-Line. Both are powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine (174 horsepower, 184 pound-feet of torque) and a six-speed automatic transmission.
Standard features on the Wolfsburg Edition include 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, heated side mirrors, a rearview camera, keyless ignition and entry, heated front seats, a power-adjustable driver's seat, 60/40-split folding rear seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, Bluetooth, VW's Car-Net smartphone integration (includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink), a 6.3-inch touchscreen, and a six-speaker sound system with a CD player, satellite radio, one USB port and an auxiliary audio jack.
Enhanced driver aids include blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, while options include a sunroof and 18-inch wheels.
The SE R-Line adds 19-inch alloy wheels, unique R-Line styling elements, LED headlights and taillights, a sunroof, remote start, a hands-free opening trunk, rain-sensing wipers, transmission shift paddles, ambient cabin lighting, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, dual-zone automatic climate control, a navigation system, a premium Fender audio system, and an upgraded version of Car-Net with enhanced security and navigation features.
The SE R-Line also comes with additional driver aids, including active blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and front and rear parking sensors.
|Overall||7.0 / 10|
Noise & vibration7.5
Ease of use7.0
Getting in/getting out8.0
Child safety seat accommodation9.0
Audio & navigation7.0
Most helpful consumer reviews
Features & Specs
Our experts like the Passat models:
- Forward Collision Warning
- Warns the driver if a front collision with a pedestrian or vehicle seems imminent. If necessary, can apply automatic emergency braking.
- Blind-Spot Monitor
- Uses rear radar sensors to warn the driver of vehicles in adjacent lanes. Also illuminates an icon on the side mirror when a vehicle enters the blind spot.
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Applies countersteering to nudge the vehicle back into its lane if the car drifts over lane markers without accompanying turn signal activation.
NHTSA Overall Rating5 out of 5 stars
- Frontal Barrier Crash RatingOverall4 / 5Driver4 / 5Passenger4 / 5
- Side Crash RatingOverall5 / 5
- Side Barrier RatingOverall5 / 5Driver5 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Combined Side Barrier & Pole RatingsFront Seat5 / 5Back Seat5 / 5
- RolloverRollover4 / 5Dynamic Test ResultNo TipRisk Of Rollover10.7%
- Side Impact TestGood
- Roof Strength TestGood
- Rear Crash Protection / Head RestraintGood
- IIHS Small Overlap Front TestNot Tested
- Moderate Overlap Front TestGood
Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat Overview
The Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat is offered in the following submodels: Passat Sedan. Available styles include Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A), and SE R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A). The Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat comes with front wheel drive. Available transmissions include: 6-speed shiftable automatic. The Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat comes with a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. basic warranty, a 3 yr./ 36000 mi. roadside warranty, and a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. powertrain warranty.
What's a good price on a Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat?
Price comparisons for Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat trim styles:
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat Wolfsburg Edition is priced between $20,499 and$27,675 with odometer readings between 18996 and47971 miles.
- The Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat SE R-Line is priced between $24,998 and$25,998 with odometer readings between 23615 and25160 miles.
Shop with Edmunds for perks and special offers on used cars, trucks, and SUVs near Ashburn, VA. Doing so could save you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Edmunds also provides consumer-driven dealership sales and service reviews to help you make informed decisions about what cars to buy and where to buy them.
Which used 2019 Volkswagen Passats are available in my area?
Shop Edmunds' car, SUV, and truck listings of over 6 million vehicles to find a cheap new, used, or certified pre-owned (CPO) 2019 Volkswagen Passat for sale near. There are currently 10 used and CPO 2019 Passats listed for sale in your area, with list prices as low as $20,499 and mileage as low as 18996 miles. Simply research the type of car you're interested in and then select a used car from our massive database to find cheap prew-owned vehicles for sale near you. Once you have identified a used vehicle you're interested in, check the AutoCheck vehicle history reports, read dealer reviews, and find out what other owners paid for the Used 2019 Volkswagen Passat.
Can't find a used 2019 Volkswagen Passats you want in your area? Consider a broader search.
Find a used Volkswagen Passat for sale - 2 great deals out of 5 listings starting at $14,227.
Find a used Volkswagen for sale - 2 great deals out of 18 listings starting at $21,116.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen Passat for sale - 12 great deals out of 15 listings starting at $24,143.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen for sale - 6 great deals out of 19 listings starting at $12,405.
Should I lease or buy a 2019 Volkswagen Passat?
Is it better to lease or buy a car? Ask most people and they'll probably tell you that car buying is the way to go. And from a financial perspective, it's true, provided you're willing to make higher monthly payments, pay off the loan in full and keep the car for a few years. Leasing, on the other hand, can be a less expensive option on a month-to-month basis. It's also good if you're someone who likes to drive a new car every three years or so.