2018 Ram 3500 Review
Pros & Cons
- Diesel engine and automatic transmission yield monumental torque
- Cabin offers excellent fit and finish
- Ride is comfortable and quiet, especially for a large truck
- Available load-leveling air suspension
- Diesel engine delivers lower power with manual transmission
- Manual-shift control is in a clumsy spot on column shifter
- Six-cylinder diesel not as quick as V8-powered competitors
List Price Range
$56,590 - $71,250
Used 3500 for SaleSee all for sale
Which 3500 does Edmunds recommend?
With the Ram 3500's nearly limitless number of options and diversity of its buyers, it's difficult to recommend a single trim. The Tradesman is a modestly equipped work truck for those who want to keep purchasing costs low, while the top-trim Limited impresses with a luxuriously equipped cabin. If you want a nice balance between price and creature comforts, the Big Horn, which is sold as the Lone Star in Texas, is the way to go. It's not much more expensive than the SLT, and its added features are worth the extra cost.
Edmunds' Expert Review
The Ram 3500 DRW (for dual rear wheels, or dually) diesel shines in braking and handling. We were a bit let down by the overboosted steering, and keep in mind you need to order the heavy-duty automatic to get the engine's highest torque rating.
You can't expect a truck that can seemingly tow a house to drive like a crossover SUV. But the Ram is perhaps the smoothest-riding pickup in the heavy-duty segment, aided by comfy, supportive front seats. The cabin is supremely quiet as well.
The Ram's interior has modern styling with user-friendly controls, including the superb Uconnect system. The cabin is open and airy and easy to see out of. It doesn't sit too high off the ground, even though it's a 3500. Ram needs to add a damped tailgate and some form of bumper step.
The Ram 3500 is all about towing, hauling and bed capacity. Maximum capacities are impressive, and the Ram comes with either a short bed or a long bed.
The large, logically located virtual buttons, reasonably quick response times, and ample functionality for smartphone users make the Ram 3500's 8.4-inch touchscreen one of the best in almost any vehicle.
Most helpful consumer reviews
Tradesman 4dr Crew Cab LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
Owned for one year. Never a single problem. Competent family vehicle averaging plus 20mpg on highway without trailer. Very competent tdiesel tow vehicle. Max towed 19k and got 12 mpg at 60mph. Bought 4wd diesel Ram 3500 rollback tow truck 4 years ago +100k miles. Never a single problem with it either. Don’t see how Ram could make it better.
Tradesman 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)
my cummins dually with equipment gets 26mpg I can drive from Midland TX tk twin wells road in jal NM and barely come off of full I can idle my truck for 3 days straight and still have enough fuel to get back to midland. Gm and Ford dont stack up my buddy's ford and gm are ways in shop
Laramie Longhorn 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB (6.4L 8cyl 6A)
I look at GM, and Ford. Ram has nailed it. My 2018 ram has every option. Not a glitch any where. I pull a 42 foot fifth wheel. 17000 empty. Truck is a beast. I feel safe and very comfortable in this truck. My wife has never driven any of my trucks. Now it's a race to the driver seat. You can't go wrong with the Ram.
Laramie 4dr Crew Cab LB (6.4L 8cyl 6A)
Outstanding vehicle, trades up from a F250. Made a God choice. Overall, averaging 16 mpg. Want to purchase a 2019 model for the creacher concerts. Pull a 14500 lb 5th wheel, no problems even at highway speed.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the 3500 models:
- ParkSense Front/Rear Park Assist System
- Alerts the driver to unseen objects front or rear. Crucial in a big truck like this with limited forward and rearward visibility.
- ParkView Rear Back Up Camera
- Displays an image directly behind the Ram 3500, either in the rearview camera or from the central touchscreen.
- Cargo Camera
- Ensures the safety of driver, passers-by and trailered load by displaying image of truck bed, including any fifth-wheel tow hitch assembly.