The 2017 Lexus IS 300 is one of the more aggressively styled luxury compacts, even if performance isn't a primary focus. But considering its all-wheel drive, well-honed ride, ample features and low noise levels, it's got enough going for it to be a convincing choice.
The IS 300 is the midgrade model introduced just last year, slotting in between the turbocharged IS 200t and range-topping IS 350. The IS 300 gets a slightly detuned version of the 350 model's 3.5-liter V6 engine and comes solely with all-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission. There are some drawbacks, such as lackluster performance and a lack of storage and rear legroom. But overall we think the IS 300 will appeal to many shoppers looking for a small luxury sedan.
- Smooth and comfortable ride quality on bumpy roads
- Cabin is well isolated from noise
- More features for your money compared to German alternatives
- Optional Remote Touch infotainment system is distracting to use
- Handling capabilities do little to create driver excitement
- Short on trunk space and small item in-cabin storage
- V6 power is comparable to smaller turbo engines but not as efficient