2018 Volkswagen Golf Review
Which Golf does Edmunds recommend?
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Squared-off hatchback design provides lots of room for cargo
- Premium interior materials
- Engine is powerful and fuel-efficient
- Automatic transmission doesn't shift as responsively or intuitively as we'd like
- Fewer luxury and convenience features offered than on rival hatchbacks
- Wolfsburg Edition and SEL trims have been discontinued
- New SE trim sits atop Golf range
- Mildly revised styling
- A few more standard features, including a new infotainment system
- Part of the seventh Golf generation introduced for 2015
Overall rating7.8 / 10
When it launched for the 2015 model year, this generation Golf was an outlier in the economy class. It offered higher-quality interior materials and more refined ride and handling characteristics than its competitors, along with the practicality of a hatchback. In many ways, the 2018 Volkswagen Golf is better than ever. This year, you get more standard features, including smartphone integration, LED running lights and taillights, automatic headlights and wipers, and the option of a new 8.5-inch infotainment touchscreen.
But even though the 2018 Golf retains its old charms and adds more features, the rest of the small-car field has evolved. The Honda Civic hatchback offers enjoyable performance and high fuel economy along with a roomy back seat and a slew of technology and safety features available across most of its lineup. Or you could check out the Mazda 3, which is engaging on the road and can be had with an even more upscale interior than the Golf.
It'll be worth your while to scout out these rivals, or even the redesigned Hyundai Elantra GT. Still, the 2018 Golf's positive attributes greatly outweigh its negatives.
Notably, we picked the 2018 Volkswagen Golf as one of Edmunds' Best Used Cars.
2018 Volkswagen Golf models
The Volkswagen Golf is a four-door small hatchback available in two trim levels. The base S is pricier than other base compact cars but comes standard with some nice upgraded features, while the SE trim adds a few luxuries and active safety features. The Golf comes standard with a turbocharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder (170 horsepower, 184 pound-feet of torque) and a five-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic is available and bumps the Golf's torque up to 199 lb-ft if so equipped.
The base S comes standard with halogen headlights, LED daytime-running lights and taillights, automatic rain-sensing wipers, heated side mirrors, and 15-inch alloy wheels. Inside, you get a leather-wrapped steering wheel, manually adjustable seats with lumbar adjustment and power recline, cloth upholstery, cruise control and a rearview camera.
Infotainment in the Golf S is handled by a 6.5-inch touchscreen system with Bluetooth and USB connectivity, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and an eight-speaker sound system.
Upgrading to the SE adds heated washer nozzles, 16-inch alloy wheels and a sunroof. Inside, the SE upgrades to simulated leather upholstery, heated front seats, and keyless entry with push-button start. You also get blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert and forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking. Pedestrian recognition will be added to the collision mitigation system later this year.
The SE's infotainment system is upgraded to an 8-inch touchscreen that adds a CD player and satellite radio, along with VW's Security & Service app.
|Overall||7.8 / 10|
Noise & vibration7.5
Ease of use8.5
Getting in/getting out8.5
Child safety seat accommodation8.0
Audio & navigation8.5
Most helpful consumer reviews
Features & Specs
Our experts like the Golf models:
- Blind-Spot Monitoring
- Alerts the driver when a car enters a blind spot. Includes rear cross-traffic alert that warns about approaching cars when reversing.
- Forward Collision Warning
- Detects an impending front collision and warns the driver to take action.
- Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Applies the brakes automatically to avoid a front collision should the driver fail to act.
NHTSA Overall Rating5 out of 5 stars
- Frontal Barrier Crash RatingOverall4 / 5Driver5 / 5Passenger4 / 5
- Side Crash RatingOverall5 / 5
- Side Barrier RatingOverall5 / 5Driver5 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Combined Side Barrier & Pole RatingsFront Seat5 / 5Back Seat5 / 5
- RolloverRollover4 / 5Dynamic Test ResultNo TipRisk Of Rollover13.4%
- Side Impact TestGood
- Roof Strength TestGood
- Rear Crash Protection / Head RestraintGood
- IIHS Small Overlap Front TestNot Tested
- Moderate Overlap Front TestGood
Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf Overview
The Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf is offered in the following submodels: Golf Hatchback. Available styles include TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M), TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M), TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A), and TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A). Pre-owned Volkswagen Golf models are available with a 1.8 L-liter gas engine, with output up to 170 hp, depending on engine type. The Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf comes with front wheel drive. Available transmissions include: 5-speed manual, 6-speed shiftable automatic. The Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf comes with a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. basic warranty, a 3 yr./ 36000 mi. roadside warranty, and a 6 yr./ 72000 mi. powertrain warranty.
What's a good price on a Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf?
Price comparisons for Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf trim styles:
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE is priced between $19,999 and$24,590 with odometer readings between 5016 and52399 miles.
- The Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf TSI S is priced between $18,499 and$23,990 with odometer readings between 831 and38952 miles.
Shop with Edmunds for perks and special offers on used cars, trucks, and SUVs near Ashburn, VA. Doing so could save you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Edmunds also provides consumer-driven dealership sales and service reviews to help you make informed decisions about what cars to buy and where to buy them.
Which used 2018 Volkswagen Golfs are available in my area?
Shop Edmunds' car, SUV, and truck listings of over 6 million vehicles to find a cheap new, used, or certified pre-owned (CPO) 2018 Volkswagen Golf for sale near. There are currently 9 used and CPO 2018 Golfs listed for sale in your area, with list prices as low as $18,499 and mileage as low as 831 miles. Simply research the type of car you're interested in and then select a used car from our massive database to find cheap prew-owned vehicles for sale near you. Once you have identified a used vehicle you're interested in, check the AutoCheck vehicle history reports, read dealer reviews, and find out what other owners paid for the Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf.
Can't find a used 2018 Volkswagen Golfs you want in your area? Consider a broader search.
Find a used Volkswagen Golf for sale.
Find a used Volkswagen for sale.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen Golf for sale.
Find a used certified pre-owned Volkswagen for sale.
Should I lease or buy a 2018 Volkswagen Golf?
Is it better to lease or buy a car? Ask most people and they'll probably tell you that car buying is the way to go. And from a financial perspective, it's true, provided you're willing to make higher monthly payments, pay off the loan in full and keep the car for a few years. Leasing, on the other hand, can be a less expensive option on a month-to-month basis. It's also good if you're someone who likes to drive a new car every three years or so.