Skip to main content

List Price Range

Used Golf for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Upscale hatchback

David, 07/26/2018
updated 08/08/2022
TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a Mazda Miata previously, so the VW Golf is definitely a big step up in terms of stability and comfort. I am a person who actually likes to drive and am a moderate driver. Having driven and researched the Japanese hatchbacks and smaller cars, the Golf is absolutely a much better driver's car. The others drive like school buses. The SE has a few bells and whistles I wasn't too worried about, so I bought the S model. Driving the S with the 5 speed manual is not a lot different than the 2010 GTI I owned (not as fast of course). The 2018 Golf gives one a feeling of solidity and control that other cars lack. It is quiet, comfortable and refined, gets great mileage and handles very well. Electronics are very nice. I think the Germans have done good work improving the Golf over the years. I only have 3000 miles on this car, so this is an initial assessment. I can't comment on reliability, but I hope for the best and am careful with the car, researching the owner's manual and following it explicitly. I am very happy with my Golf and am looking forward to taking it on a longer trip to see how it performs. Update at 12,000 miles: smooth as silk. No squeaks, rattles or problems. A car one enjoys driving. 19500 miles. No problems. Highway mileage usually about 39-42 mpg. I appreciate the ease of using GPS and CarPlay. Great car. I follow maintenance schedule closely, use Top Tier fuel, etc. 26000 miles: Zero problems. Quick and stable car that’s still a pleasure to own. 40,000 miles: I am following the maintenance requirements carefully. Zero problems! No rattles, drives great. At 75 mph getting a consistent 41-42 mpg on cruise. Hope to keep this Golf a long time. 59000 miles. Drives great. Zero problems. Just traveled 1400 miles on a road trip driving 70-75 mph and got just over 40 mph. Still big on strict maintenance, using Top Tier gas and changing oil each 5000 miles. I really enjoy the car.

Best car I’ve ever had

Kristina Lamson, 04/18/2019
TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is awesome!!! It is so beautiful inside and out with great features like Bluetooth and touchscreen and Apple play along with navigation it is just so very cool and such a smooth ride!

4 out of 5 stars

Excellent car! Highly recommend!

Steven Evans, 04/07/2020
updated 10/07/2020
TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my 2018 VW Golf SE March of 2019 with 220 miles on it. I was leasing a base model 2017 VW Jetta S that I loved but traded so I could have more of the tech and luxury features offered nowadays like Apple CarPlay, leatherette seats, sunroof and rain sensing wipers. The only thing I’ve had a problem with was the sunroof interior cloth shade. It was replaced under warranty because it kept creeping open. Other than that, this is an excellent car! I can’t tell you how many times the forward collision mitigation system has saved me from an accident I couldn’t avoid. Sure it’s German and expensive to service down the road but you won’t find anything else for the price that’s even close to the quality materials inside and peppy turbo charged engine. No cheap hard plastics here, all upscale soft touch materials. Speaking of price I got $6000 off the MSRP on this one brand new! Gas mileage is alright, I get about 21-22 MPG in town because I drive the hell out of this car and have a lead foot. Freeway I get about 26-27 MPG. I now have almost 12k miles and it still drives just like the day I got it. I would definitely recommend this over a Civic, Corolla or Elantra any day. It probably won’t last is long as those other three but cars aren’t investments anymore. All cars are disposable. I buy a new car every 3-4 years to stay current and to avoid major repair costs with age and high miles. I’ll probably keep this one a little longer just because I enjoy it so much! Buy a Volkswagen and you’ll be hooked! This is my 3rd VW and I am a very happy customer! UPDATE 10/7/20: 16k miles and no problems. The sunroof shade still creeps open but not at much as before so I’ve overlooked it. I’ve started commuting recently and spending more time driving and I’m thankful I bought this car. LOVE IT!

Fun, zippy car!

Chris, 05/16/2018
TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is fun, fast and does a great job for your every day commuter. It’s comfortable, great sound system and quiet. If you and your other half or friend wanted to go on a road trip, no doubt you wouldn’t have a great time. The furthest I’ve gone so far non stop is about 100 miles and I was averaging 37-39 mpg

I liked my 2015 so much I got a 2017 AND a 2018

Ian Forsyth, 03/04/2020
TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

So, I’ve had a bit of experience with Volkswagens, my first car was a red ‘65 Beetle Convertible, followed by a ‘67 Beetle, a ‘75 Le Grande Bug (awesome car), a ‘64 Beetle, a ‘74 Superbeetle, in 2010 I bought a Tiguan which I liked a lot, then in 2015 traded Tiggy for a Mark 7 Golf Comfortline (mid-trim level one Canada) I loved that car, and drove it trouble free for almost 2 years when a dump truck backed into it while parked, totalling it. I was able to replace it with black, top-of-the-line Highline trim 2017 Golf, which was awesome. The Fender sound system was killer, the ambient lighting awesome, and it was just so much fun driving a deluxe “all the bells and whistles” car. For six months. Then an errant but unprovable left turn arrow allowed me to confidently turn left and T-bone a mini-van. Another total. BUT, all you Golf owners can rest assured that this is one tough little car. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. Before I knew what had happened the driver’s airbag was already deflating, and I walked away without so much as a scratch on me, or any soft tissue injuries to speak of. Replaced that car with another Golf, a 2018 Comfortline, down a trim level, but with the Driver’s assist package, so all the latest technology plus the 8” infotainment. I’m up to 27,000km on this car, not a single issue, accelerates like no car I’ve ever owned, the 6speed autobox is smooth as silk, although performs much better in sport mode. Taken it on a couple of road trips and can attest to the seat comfort and highway performance. My only complaint, and I’m going to ask about this when I take it in for its oil change and inspection next week, is the huge difference between highway mileage and city driving. Even driving like a 100 year old nun I can’t seem to get better than 16mpg, and about 2-300 km on a tank of gas. On the highway, no matter how I drive, it’s in the 40mpg range and I went almost 500km on a tank of gas. I think the turbo really makes the engine work too hard in stop and go driving. But all in all, this is probably the best car I’ve ever owned.