2018 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Upscale hatchback
By David

2018 Volkswagen Golf TSI S 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a Mazda Miata previously, so the VW Golf is definitely a big step up in terms of stability and comfort. I am a person who actually likes to drive and am a moderate driver. Having driven and researched the Japanese hatchbacks and smaller cars, the Golf is absolutely a much better driver's car. The others drive like school buses. The SE has a few bells and whistles I wasn't too worried about, so I bought the S model. Driving the S with the 5 speed manual is not a lot different than the 2010 GTI I owned (not as fast of course). The 2018 Golf gives one a feeling of solidity and control that other cars lack. It is quiet, comfortable and refined, gets great mileage and handles very well. Electronics are very nice. I think the Germans have done good work improving the Golf over the years. I only have 3000 miles on this car, so this is an initial assessment. I can't comment on reliability, but I hope for the best and am careful with the car, researching the owner's manual and following it explicitly. I am very happy with my Golf and am looking forward to taking it on a longer trip to see how it performs.

Fun, zippy car!
By Chris

2018 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is fun, fast and does a great job for your every day commuter. It’s comfortable, great sound system and quiet. If you and your other half or friend wanted to go on a road trip, no doubt you wouldn’t have a great time. The furthest I’ve gone so far non stop is about 100 miles and I was averaging 37-39 mpg

2018 VW Golf SE
By Roberto

2018 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

5 years ago, I test drove a Golf TDI 5M. Ended up purchasing a Jetta SW 6A the year after. 4 years later I now own a Golf TSI 5M and it’s as fun to drive as the one I test drove 5 years ago. It also is roomier than 5 years ago.