Here Are 5 Things to Know About the 2016 Mazda CX-5:
1. The CX-5 is the most engaging compact crossover SUV to drive. It can even feel athletic. If you're transitioning from a smaller and/or sporty compact car, this will probably make that transition a little less painful. At the same time, the ride is composed and not unpleasantly firm.
2. Both of the available engines deliver top fuel economy for the segment at 29 mpg combined with front-wheel drive. Considering that the 2.5-liter produces nearly 30 more horsepower, it's worth stepping up from the most basic model.
3. The electronics interface is new for 2016. It's gone from one of the worst in the segment to one of the best. Its screen is primarily operated by smartly designed controls on the center console, or by touch when parked.
4. Cargo space is less than in more utilitarian competitors like the Honda CR-V, but certainly acceptable. The same can be said of passenger space. There's plenty of room in the backseat, but the seatback doesn't recline.
5. All but the base model are available with a collision warning and automatic braking system. It can be further upgraded with a more advanced system as well as lane departure warning.
The 2016 CX-5 received an "A" Rating from our editors, making it one of our top-recommended compact SUVs along with the Honda CR-V. We also suggest taking a look at the Ford Escape, Subaru Forester and Jeep Cherokee.