2018 Audi S8 Review
Which S8 does Edmunds recommend?
The 2018 Audi S8 is only available in the Plus trim. As such, picking an S8 just comes down to what options you want. The Executive Plus is an obvious choice since it adds extra safety features that you'll likely appreciate having, such as lane departure warning and forward collision warning. We'd take the Dynamic package, too. It's more for the bragging rights associated with owning a sedan with a 190 mph top speed rather than any particular benefit coming from the package's carbon-ceramic brakes.
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Standard turbocharged V8 provides immense power
- All-wheel drive ensures rapid acceleration
- Clean design and high-quality materials throughout the cabin
- Drives and handles like a much smaller sedan
- Standard music interface isn't as versatile as a USB port
- Not as much trunk space as you might expect for a car of its size
Combining an absurd amount of power with the refinement one expects from an executive luxury sedan makes for a highly enjoyable, if unusual, driving experience. Whether you're cruising along on the freeway or facing a red light with an empty street ahead, the Audi S8 always delivers satisfaction.
The adaptive air suspension deftly balances sporty handling with a smooth ride. We also like the heated front seats that offer 22-way adjustment and massage. Rear occupants will appreciate the additional adjustment provided by four-zone climate control.
Though its design is a few years old, the S8's interior still displays an attention to detail and cohesion in design. If a surface isn't high-quality leather or an attractive trim piece, it's probably simulated suede. And it's all customizable.
A power, hands-free trunk makes it easy to load and unload, though the S8's 14.2 cubic-foot trunk isn't particularly generous for this class of car. The interior boasts plenty of cubbies and pockets for smaller personal items.
The S8's MMI infotainment system is reasonably easy to use, but it's dated compared to the latest version of MMI available on other Audi vehicles. The proprietary music interface isn't nearly as versatile as having a USB port to plug in your phone. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are not available.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the S8 models:
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go
- Keeps pace with the vehicle ahead of you as traffic dictates.
- Side Assist
- Watches for traffic in the places you can't see and warns you before a lane change if needed.
- Active Lane Assist
- Helps steer the vehicle back into the lane if it senses an unintended departure.