Used 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon

s 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (65 reviews )

Zoom Zoom with room
By midnightmike

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had previously owned a Chevy Avalanche for my dj business. Even though I loved my truck, I felt it was time to downsize. I saw the Mazda wagon at the Chicago Auto Show. My wife and I liked the car very much. The next day, we bought one. She had a 2001 Protege so I knew about Mazda's reliability. This car handles all of my equipment without a problem. This car can really move and handle like a race car. I just love driving it. The color is Steel Gun Grey and it is fully loaded. Everyone I run into thinks it's a Dodge Magnum. The Dodge is too expensive and really isn't that much roomier than the 6. You really cannot beat the price of the 6 and everything you get for the money.

Looks, Bose sound system, tons of room with the seats folded.

Memory seats for the driver, and auto door lock when car is put into gear.

Mixed Bag
By Bobby

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am easy on my vehicles and drive them for 10-12+ years. I hope this car passes the Toyota quality/dependability test. Inside quality seems good (although the small door forward of the shift lever comes unhinged and a lens on the lower driver door light fell out) Controls for the HVAC are dumb. Did any of the designers try to work these things? Knobs either need to project farther and have knurling on them or they need to be rotary dials. Ditto for the radio. The same goes for the multi-function stalks. Move the rear wiper to the dash and simplify. Fuel mileage stinks. I would like to see the 4 cylinder and 16" tires available in the full tilt wagon pkg. I hope reliability is good.

Styling is very nice. Interior space is good. Panel fit very good. Warranty is generous. I hope NOT to use it.

HVAC & audio controls. Package groups make it expensive. I wanted side airbags and had to spend $2200 to get them. 2.3l 4 cylinder should be available in wagon. 16" wheels are plenty for this vehicle. Some switch gear feels cheap. Dash lighting is not needed and too limited in control.

Sleeper
By mgrabo

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

A really great option to the garden variety commuter cars despite gas mileage is in the low 20s (partially due to my shift points ;-). It has a very eager, smooth running motor & handles very well on the stock 17" rubber. In wagon format, it really occupies a niche of one (220hp V6, handling biased, manual transmission wagon under $25k). If you don't demand 30mph from a daily driver, the Mazda6 is worth taking a close look.

Super smooth motor; great brakes; Bose stereo package.

6th gear, please; dealer installed roof rack option; increase standard feature list to include trip computer & dash blackout.

FUN -- after the throttle body was replaced
By libbyrae

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love on the test drive. All the fun interior toys, the spaciousness, the comfort, the styling, the quiet engine, the power! After a few months I noticed the engine lagged while it shifted gears, and it even shut itself off once. Not good. Then I took it in with all my complaints and they found a defective throttle body. If I had driven it much longer I could have done some serious damage to the engine. Now it's fixed and it's like having a new car again. I'm still in love. I tested it once in the semi-snowy/icy Cascadia Mountains in Oregon and the traction control system kicked in nicely. I'll soon be moving from Nevada to Toronto, Canada. Can't wait to see how it does in the snow.

Dash layout, controls and red glow. 6 CD changer Bose system with acceleration level control. Lumbar support in driver's seat. Heated seats. Trunk cargo space. All around performance.

I wish the headlights would come on automatically at night like Toyotas.

You get what you pay for
By JeffInNC

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, you get a lot for your money here. In my case Mazda was taking $4K off sticker to move a few of these and I was able to get the dealer to reduce his cut as well. But there's a price. After about 9K miles my front rotors are warped. Lately the car has started to stall immediately after being started in the morning. The interior rattles and buzzing speaker enclosures were annoying from day 1 and seem to be getting worse. Matter of fact, I put it in the shop this afternoon and got a Dodge Neon as a loaner. The Neon has a smoother ride and it doesn't rattle. That's pretty sad! I was planning on this car purchase being a long-term keeper but I don't think that's going to happen.

Very efficient use of space, good looking in and out, lots of toys for your dollar, plenty fast once you get used to the feel of the accelerator (V6).

Have this thing assembled in Japan instead of in Michigan by UAW people. The rattles can't be a design feature; I attribute them to people assembling the car who just don't care. And don't turn it into a boat, but do something about the tooth-jarring suspension - the ride is incredibly harsh.