Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 240 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Highlander

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Never again!
By aksecurity7035

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned highlander 2005 3.3 and loved it, power, economy, comfort, and reliability were 5 stars paid 26k for brand new. In 2008 new model looked really nice and I thought it's time for an upgrade, wrong I was. Turned out to be down grade all around except the looks. 30k for a sport model with lots of features but economy is down the drain, comfort is down the drain, and reliability as well down the drain. Focus of maker was to make a cool looking suv with lots of features.

Plenty of room, rear view camera, powerful engine.

Needs better fuel economy, better comfort for driver and passengers, needs better suspension and turn balance. Badly needs redesigned interior with materials-current are too hard and noisy, every time you go over a bump the whole car craks. Needs better computer system for transmission response when you work shifter. Brakes are extremely soft to where the whole front of the car feels like it will tip over. Mechanical issues all around. AC failed to work at 57k miles.

Driver-side Window
By pikabill

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The build quality and reliability of my 2008 Highlander has proven to be poor with only 59,000 miles on it and Toyota Customer Service was a waste of time...for example, the driver- side window failed from a plastic part and the dealer charged me over $400 to fix it.
Toyota Customer Service and the dealer provided no consideration whatsoever.
Yes, it was outside the warranty and Toyota has no obligation to fix it and I have no obligation to purchase another Toyota.

2008 Highlander Engine Problems
By abecker

2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2008 Highlander has problematic engine. Oil sludge buildup, despite routine oil changes, caused damage and needed engine replacement at 80+k miles. Would not every buy Toyota again.

2008 and newer highlander V6 engine issues
By gobubba

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All V6 2008 and newer highlanders will develop piston slap according to the dealer and factory rep I talked to. It causes the engine to sound like a diesel for the first 10minutes of driving. The dealership could not fix the issue and bought our vehicle back.
I'm writing this to help educate people about this and hopefully save someone from making the same mistake I did, purchasing a certified highlander....

Tighten up piston/cylinder wall clearance tolerances so pistons don't "slap" when they are cold.

Good Choice
By whasp18

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching a "family" vehicle purchase for over two months, I eventually decided on a used 2008 Toyota Highlander, 7 passenger - FWD V6.
I test drove all the 2012 Dodge, Chevy, Ford alternatives. I decided on a used Highlander for the price point & TCO. No buyers remorse currently. On my first long trip I decided to test out MPG's. Half the trip I drove interstate, 75-80 MPH; MPG were between 20-21, I was disappointed.
On my return trip I took an alternate route & drove 60-70 MPH; MPG were between 28-29, I was impressed. I chose a FWD in anticipation of better MPG. Power and performance of the V6 engine is great. If you can adjust your driving style, you can get 2012 MPG in a 2008.

Driving comfort and engine power are the most impressive. My main focus when deciding on a 2008 highlander were core vehicle capabilities; Performance, Comfort/Feel, Passenger capacity. I could drive this vehicle all day and not get uncomfortable in it. The Sport model has a smooth but stiff rid, I believe a lot of the ride will depend on the tire. The features available in the 2008 model are all relevant and still make it a competitive choice to any 2012 alternatives available.