Used 2002 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Great SUV
By Nick

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent family SUV. Plenty of leg room and storage. Great for the occasional towing of a couple of waverunners. We have enjoyed the ride and comfort this vehicle offers. Highly recommend.

Dependability and comfort.

Towing capacity very low only 3500 lbs., the new Highlander when properly equipped handles 5000 lbs. which is a great improvement.

Best SUV
By e jeffreys

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best SUV we ever owned. Rides like a luxury car, handles cargo like a Surburban. Excellent performance and perfect reliability.

Superbly engineered ergonomics.

A little bigger.

160,000 miles - still going strong
By Alan

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2002 has 160,000 miles on it and has been a very reliable vehicle. I do all of my own routine maintenence work, and filers, plugs, etc., are easily accessible. The engine and auto trans still run like brand new - does not use any oil between changes, has never needed any internal engine or trans work - and never had any problems with any major components. We live on a rough gravel road, and the suspension was starting to feel a bit lose at 150,000 miles - I installed new struts, link rods, ball joints, bushings, etc. and it is back to feeling very "tight". The Idle Control Valve became dirty and caused stalling problems, but once I cleaned it problem went away.

Very reliable vehicle and comfortable for long trips. Back in 2002 they did not offer the 3rd row, but that has never caused us a problem. With routine maintenance I expect to get at least another 100,000 miles out of it.

nothing

5.5 years and still loving it!
By Gerri

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I originally bought this car, my first Toyota, because it was rated #1 in Advanced Safety (the lighted running boards were a plus too!). Over 77,000 miles later, it still gets 22 mpg around town, 26 mpg on road trips and I've only had to replace the tires at 56,000. No other expense except for oil changes every 3,000 miles. That emissions light does come on with the gas cap issue, but I just let it stay on. Cargo compartment more than adequate for my needs -- 400 lbs of chicken feed and two bales of hay on the luggage racks on top! Back seat comfortably seats three if you need to. I just had it detailed so it is brand new all over again and I couldn't ask for a better, more dependable car

Good gas mileage, roomy cargo, good stereo sound system, very smooth ride.

I'd like to sit higher up; coming from an Isuzu Rodeo, I feel like I'm not riding much higher than a car. Even the newer Highlanders seem to sit higher up.

Roomy, reliable, ponderous gas-hog
By AZDave

2002 Toyota Highlander SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After five years and 27,000 miles, I have mixed feelings about our 2002 Highlander. Like all Toyotas it has been super-reliable, and maintenance has cost less than $600 including one pair of tires. However, even with the V6 engine this vehicle is fairly sluggish and gets about 16-17 mpg around town and 20-22 mpg on the highway. Handling is secure but feels ponderous. There is a bewildering array of levers protruding from the steering column. The storage compartment between the two front seats is horrible: narrow and deep, with a two-part cover that jams easily. The seats are only semi-comfortable on long trips. OK if you need an SUV, I guess, but nothing to get excited about.

Roomy, reliable, holds lots of stuff. Not bad looking for a SUV. Decent ride.

Easier-to-use controls. Redesign the storage area between the front seats or ditch it altogether. Fix glitch that causes a warning light to come on if gas cap is not tightened 100% - which only the dealer can reset!