Used 2002 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

3rd Gen 4Runner
By John

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

IMHO... 4Runners are the best mid sized SUV on the road. My 3rd generation 4Runner has noticably more power and creature comforts. The only prob I've noticed (hence my build quality descrepancy)is the door seals. Drivers and rear passenger molding does not fit right. Local dealer just shrugs and says I can get a new set of molding for more than I'm willing to pay. Oh well... great truck.. just wish I'd held out for 4X4.

Great Truck
By glevin

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a vehicle, and I wanted something that had 4 wheel drive for Michigan winters, but only part time so I could switch it off when not needed. I needed a vehicle which was dependable, and would look as good going across a muddy dirt road, or pulling up to a nice restaurant. This truck fits the bill in every way. I'm a little over 50k, and I have yet to have a problem (other then a flat tire). Toyota quality wins me over again.

I love the looks, shift on the fly four wheel drive, and rear window that goes down.

I sometimes wish it had more power, but there is a supercharger available, and now a V-8 for the '05 model year

A Great SUV
By Howie

2002 Toyota 4Runner Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After having the suv for more than 3 years, I find no major problem with the car. The only thing is that the car tend to shake a little when breaking. I asked the dealer to look into the problem and they said its just the surface of the break pad is either dirty or uneven. To fix the problem I need to replace the whole break pad which can cost over $200. So I am just gonna leave it alone until its time for new ones. Otherwise no other major problems. The car runs great and its so much fun to drive. Its also got a great look but the new 2003 model looks a lot better.

Sit up high so I can get a great view. Also I love the power the car's got.

Brakes!

4Runnin
By ChiefJoJo74

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner in September of 2002 (one of the last of it's generation). It's my first SUV, and I wouldn't trade it for any other. The ride is rough/firm, gas mileage isn't very good (18-23 mpg), and it's short on low end torque but... it's the best looking SUV out there in my opinion, is roomy without being too big to manuver in the city, has a great multi-mode 4WD system with traction/skid control (great for rain/snow), performs extremely well off-road, has good brakes, great ergonomics, and is very solidly built and reliable (no problems after 38k mi) and will probably last for well over 200k miles with good maintenance.

styling, perfect size SUV, 4WD system, off-road ability, solid construction, reliability

more horsepower and torque, better gas mileage, std. off-road pkg w/bigger stock tires (33")

4Runner.....one great car
By phil89

2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got a 2002 4Runner SR5 4WD Sport Edition and I love it. The ride is trucklike and bumpy over washboard surfaces but the 4Runner can take almost anything you throw at it. The engine is smooth but it will leave you wanting more horses(one of the only faults). The braking is exceptional plus the traction and stability control helps me stay firmly on the road in bad conditions. The inside and outside styling is superb and in my opinion it is the best looking SUV on the market. Average fuel economy for an older SUV about 17-21 in my experiance.

HUGE SUNROOF!, Good looking Hood Scoop, Comfortable Sport Seats, High Ground Clearance, locking differential, Role down Rear Window.

Some people would want more power but the engine is fine for me.