Used 2005 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 270 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Worst car ever owned
By david338

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Outback is a money pit.
I guess I got a lemon.
Does the mfg. replace lemons?
Head gaskets need to be replaced (poor design).
I have had to replace both front axles, CV joints, hubs right rear and front, bushings bearings, etc...... already put $2000 in
and expecting to layout another $2000 (no joke).
I would recommend buying a HONDA.
Oh yeah my father in law bought a new outback and already had to replace front right CV.
At least his was under warranty.
Maybe I am the isolated anomaly but it still hurts.

Heated seats and the green paint. Leather is nice as well.

Where do I begin?

Great Snow vehicle but MAN the Oil leaks...
By junkyard2

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru and it will be my last.
Pros: Fantastic AWD System, will flat out go in the snow !
Good gas mileage for a AWD, 27.5 highway, 23 city
Easy to work on. Heated Windshield
Cons: Cheap interior, Sub Standard factory Stereo System,
Head Gasket leaks ! All 3 of my Outbacks have had head gasket issues, once they start leaking, they drip on the exhaust and the oil vapors come right in the fresh air ducts.
If you buy one you WILL be eventually be putting head gaskets on it.
At 120K miles, my steering rack is leaking oil bad, one head gasket is leaking and the cat converters are shot ($1860 at Subaru)
I have a neighbor with a 2011 Outback that has oil leaks, BEWARE !

AWD, Cold Weather Package

Redesign the Boxer engine to fix the Oil leaks, Upgrade the cheesy, plastic interior

Going back to Toyota
By debafish

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had nothing but problems with my Subaru Outback since we bought it.
We burn through breaks, head lights and the car smells of burnt rubber after minimal driving.
When the ABS light came on I took it to the dealer and they couldn't diagnose it (they failed to mention I need to leave the car running with the light on to diagnose..so they said).
Now that is has 104K miles they tell me it's the ball bearing, covered until 100K by warranty.
Then the turbo went out, $1600 later it's still smoking when I drive.
Today they tell me the head gasket is shot and it has two leaks.
This car is a money pit.
I04K miles and a lot of issues, I'm going back to Toyota.

Awsome cars
By rotcfancy

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I upgraded to an 05' Outback sedan from a 95' Legacy. Whether looking for a reliable car for a new driver, older driver, daily driver, or road trip. This is dependable in the rain, snow, sun, extreme cold, you name it. It's fun ( I have gone mudding with trucks)and towed them out) Its classy, comfy, and quick. It's the best car for the price. Other cars in the same year are the same price but this WILL get you to work in the snow. If you want to call off of work b/c of weather get something else. I am now a full blown Subaru Lover.

Ride height, heated seats (also keeps takeout warm) and handling . my other Subaru has 200,00+ miles and is still going

There is a small compartment above the stereo to store items, could be larger.

Blown Turbo(s)
By zkeatley

2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was my familes second Outback with the first one putting in 10 solid years of service. The only thing that was lacking for me was that there was not sufficient enough power for passing so I was excited to find the turbo model which added greatly to the cars performance numbers and made the car fun to drive. The first turbo blew right around 60k and the second was like clock work at 120k. Sure things break on a car but at $2500 a piece, and the same exact part with the same exact problem...not really. The first time it took 4 weeks to get my car fixed because the turbo was on back order and there were two other cars at the same dealer, with the same exact problem.

I enjoyed the all black leather interior as it was easy to clean and maintain. I also enjoyed the overall function of the car and that it handled more like a car than an SUV but I would advise anyone to avoid the turbo model based on my experience.

Customer service. Both Subaru dealers blamed the problem on a clogged oil screen and by doing so, blamed me for not changing the oil in the car which I change myself on a regular basis. The Subaru dealer stated that the manufacturer recommended not putting the oil screen back in during the second installation yet they would not offer any assistance or discount for the replacement of the second turbo. Even a small gesture on the part of Subaru might have saved me as a customer for life but I did not feel any love from them and so now, I drive a Nissan. I know this much, I will never purchase another turbo charged car. As for Subaru...probably not but I won't say never.