Used 2009 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Not a winter vehicle!!
By Zepppo

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

WE bought the Mazda 5 as it offers 6 seats without the bulk of a real mini-van. The design of the vehicle is good, but it feels a little "flimsy" compared to our Honda CRV. Gas mileage is good (again, compared to a minivan) and it's a pretty peppy ride. The biggest problem is driving on snow and ice, however (I live in AB,Canada). To compensate for the lack of oomph Mazda designed the manual gearbox with very "short" gears. First gear has so much torque that you can barely start moving without the wheels spinning! We bought Michelin X-Ice2 tires which helped a bit, but it's still not fun driving this vehicle on snow and ice. For a winter environment this is definitely not the right choice

Seats for 6, sliding doors, gas mileage, overall size of vehicle, cargo versatility

More HP for the engine so the manual transmission works for winter/wet roads too! more beefier built, not as flimsy. Sound insulate interior

Love my Fun to Drive Mazda5!!
By NJMommy

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Have had the Mazda5 for a year now w/18,000 miles on it. Went from a '98 Bonneville, and thought the luxury and space would be missed, but it is amazing how well this little package is put together. Handles my commute excellent, as well as 2 long road trips this year. We live in Jersey and went to both Bar Harbor & Myrtle Beach and we're very impressed with how comfortable the ride was and the Hwy MPG (we were getting 32 - 34 MPG on 95 once we got out of the DC area traffic and that was at 75MPH with AC! We are a family of 3, so it is plenty of room for us. I did so much research before making this purchase, and I couldn't be happier, it was the best all around choice by far. Zoom Zoom!

4 Captain's chairs, radio controls on steering wheel, jack for MP3 player, 3rd row seat, cargo room, 6 cup holders, AWESOME stereo/speakers, sporty look, feel, and drive, all around my favorite car ever!

there are a few...but very minor, I wish the 2nd auxiliary jack was in the second row instead of all the way in the back...it is a pain when we have to plug in the GPS and the DVD Player. My husband is 6'1 and wishes there was just a little more leg room and longer arm rest, but that is it!!!!

tremble
By Cap

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Couple months into my purchase i noticed the car starts to shake. The rear shock then went so i got it replaced but the shaking has continued. It's nothing violent but just noticeable enough to be really annoying, especially for a brand new car. I took it in again and they said i had tar on the tire..Well i have since had the tires rebalanced and rotated but it still shakes..It may even be the engine cause it shakes a little bit at idle..I dont know if its just my mazda or if this is just how the car drives. What i do know is that once the warranty is up, i am getting rid of it cause i don't trust it. It gets about 24-26 mpg btw..

cargo room Highway MPG

Roof could be lowered so it doesn't drive so top heavy plus it would look nicer. Seats could be a little wider and need more leg room. The brake pedal needs to be another inch or so farther away from the gas pedal. Improve the City MPG

compromise for big rewards
By vicenac

2009 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

To fit 3 rows of seats in this little vehicle, some corners, or knees have to be cut. Make sure you fit in, take full advantage of the telescoping steering wheel and you'll get an exciting vehicle. It's easy to park, VERY nimble and accelerates quickly with the 5 gear transmission. I see it as a Swiss Army Knife. Small and versatile. How many times did I say small? Not enough! I am 6.1 and my wife is 5.7. The driver seat is all the way back. We have an infant carrier behind us, which is way longer than a car seat or regular person, so that seat is also all the way back. There would not be much leg room left in the third row seat. But there are 3 people seating on the right side of the car

Sliding doors, second row seats - reclining and sliding. The looks and small size (outside). Quietness and nimbleness. Armrests all around.

Make it two inches longer. Find a way to tint windows in the factory. Provide a rear crush test. My daughter is really close to the rear door. ALLOW MANUAL TRANSMISSION ON ALL TRIMS! Bring the roof rack from Japan and Europe!

'09 Mazda 5
By MazdaFan09

2009 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Mazda5 Grand Touring about a month ago. I love this car. This is my 4th Mazda and by far my favorite. Build quality is great, transmission is smooth as well as the ride. I was looking for an alternative to an SUV with good MPG and easy to drive. I probably will never use the third row, but the cargo room is great. It has all the features of my Mazda3 with more space and better ride. This is not a minivan, more like a sport wagon with sliding doors. I agree if it were fully loaded it may be a little underpowered. For the two of us around town or roadtrip it's perfect and now there's room for the dogs. There's not an SUV as well as equipped as this for the price.

Tons of space, Smooth Ride, Auto Transmission, Great SUV Alternative, Ipod Jack, Sirius Radio, Good Ride Height and Visibility. Automatic headlights, wipers and climate control and the sliding doors. I got to keep my favorite features from my Mazda3, the Xenon Headlights and the Mazda Zoom Zoom.

I agree it could use a couple more inches of legroom up front. Tinted windows would help. Add an integrated subwoofer. They could rethink the console. It is low and small without the ability to cover your belongings. Needs better cargo organizer. Add a V6 or Speed Version.