2002 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:
Bought used in 2011 - my 6th Subaru
By sstevek on 02/14/12 18:58 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Had a 2002 Outback automatic - a great car but wanted to go back to a manual transmission. Really enjoy driving this Forester - somehow it rides better than the Outback with a shorter wheelbase. Excellent visibility, easy to get in and out of. Geared lower than my '98 Outback which turned around 3200 rpm @ 65mph, the Forester is around 2750. Engine has enough torque to handle moderate hills in 5th gear. Never feels under powered. A lot of room for it's size - cargo capacity very close to an '02 Grand Cherokee. Feels like a sports car with high seating. Bought it at 98k, have about 104k now. Not a concern since I have a company vehicle.

Still Going Strong
By Marks on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This Forester has been in daily use since we bought it new. It has had very few problems. Replacing the catalytic converter was the only signficant item so far. We also had to replace the CD player module when it started eating disks and keeping them! I was impressed that Subaru voluntarily replaced all the engine gaskets at no cost after some head gasket seepage was noted during dealer service. I for one like the placement of the cupholder, even though it puts your cup in front of the air distribution control knob. The cup is ergonomically in a good position -- up high and easy to reach. The holder looks flimsy, but it hasn't broken. A great little vehicle, easily the best I have owned.

Going for 300K!
By Vern on 04/12/10 04:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Forester in Feb of 2002. It was one of only a handle of vehicles around that fit my requirements: storage room for my dj equipment, AWD, great fuel economy, and manual trans. I just went over 250K last week and my goal for 300K is within reach. Once I hit 300K, then I will be shopping for a new Forester. Vehicle handles well and is very reliable. I replaced original clutch at 190K! May not need another one before 300K.

First and Last Subaru
By roch_mn on 09/15/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven mostly Toyota, this was my 1st Subaru. Currently at 70k miles. Disappointing quality even though I keep on top of regular maintenance. While under warranty the floorboard took on water and carpet was removed and dried, and the transmission was disassembled to replace bearings. I've had two O2 sensors replaced at my cost. Interior feels cheap, seats are uncomfortable, and no LATCH system for car seats. Wind noise on the highway.

Perfect for Snowy Weather
By Newman on 08/28/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Forester is great. It gets me where I need to go in any kind of weather.

Shoulda bought a Honda
By GPgurl on 07/22/08 19:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Subaru after reading glowing reviews. Everything was great until I reached about 60000 miles. after an expensive $1800 head gasket replacement and 2 axle replacements, leaking bushings, and a check engine light that's been on since 80,000 miles - I feel robbed-like I'm purchasing the same car all over again one repair at a time. I'm torn between taking my chances with the check engine light and just driving it for a couple more years and getting a Honda. The dealers are no help at all.

176 plus, and still no sign of stopping
By stephen on 07/21/08 21:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my first Subie on May 5th in 01. It had only six miles. Since then, I've racked up just over 176,000 with no problems whatsoever. I kid you not. It still has the original clutch and I put new brakes on about a year ago for the very first time. I average about 28 mix and 31 highway. It's a five speed manual and that accounts for the great gas mileage. The only thing I've done to is change the oil religiously and had a new water pump and timing belt but in at 120k. This car just keeps going and going. I live in Denver and frequent the slopes in the winter and work in Blackhawk. So the car has seen more than it's fair share of snow, rain, and hot summers.

2002 Subaru Forester
By Ac Cars on 01/04/08 13:49 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well I think it should REALLY have improved comfort/road noise!! Also it doesn't have good brakes or reliable cup holders. Mine broke in less than a year! Also those dark/light gray seats soak up way too much sun. I would not recommend it.

Great all-round vehicle
By wx_geek on 12/08/07 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2002 Subaru Forester S A/T We purchased our Forester used from the original owners who needed a mini van. It now has 85k miles. We bought it while living in Wisconsin. It is the perfect all-weather vehicle. I have driven it in the worst of snow storms with several un-plowed inches of snow on the road and it has never once gotten stuck. I will caution that the Geolanders it comes with should be replaced if they have more than 40k miles on them as their snow traction is gone, even though they technically have tread left. We replaced ours after they caused us to lose traction during a storm and spun us around. We replaced them with Continental Conti-Extreme Contacts and they are great.

Best small SUV out there
By Amandrew in MI on 10/01/07 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Forester S AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new Nov. 2001, 100K miles as of today. Pros: I'm 6'4" and fit fine, but barely; 25-27 mpg in mixed city/hwy; replaced clutch at 90K miles, which is pretty good; AWD is awesome; have driven in my grandma's sandy-soiled Michigan pasture off-road in all 4 seasons without getting stuck! Cons: auto-dimming mirror failed at 20K miles but was not covered under warranty, not worth $250 to replace; check engine light has come on 4 times between 30K and 100K - vacuum hose, emission control module, air/fuel sensor, and a 4th problem to be found at shop this week. None expensive, but none under warranty.