Fun with 5 speed, but materials/build okay
By boost4 on
2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan
This car is my 2nd 626 and 3rd Mazda. The others were turbo 4 cylinders which are still lasting longer than I imagined. My current 6's V6 is fun to drive and makes great high revving sounds, but is a bit low on torque. What I have found quality-wise leads me to believe it will not hold together like my circa 80's cars did. So far the coolant expansion tank has sprung a leak, so it was replaced. The driver's door power lock motor ate itself making a horribly loud noise while operating. Both are common issues for this model, and it did help that both parts were acquired from the dealer for around $50. I refuse to blame these quirks on US assembly, as my previous ones were both US & Japanese made and both were excellent.
Favorite Features
Smooth running, with 7k RPM redline. Decent fuel economy (about 22 avg.), handles well for size and comfort level. Space utilization, rear seat room and general seat comfort. Split folding rear. 4 wheel disc brakes. Slightly better than completely bland styling. Excellent pre-owned value.
Suggested Improvements
Quality of certain auxiliary parts. Stay away from FoMoCo supplied parts in the future please Mazda. Body hardware and trim could be attached better. Another 1/2 liter for the V6 engine, which was done on the later 6 courtesy of Ford. A 6th gear or taller ratios to aid highway comfort and economy.