Used 2000 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Defective Auto Transmission Design Flaw
By Dumb ___

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

What's sad, I bought this car relying on Edmunds to be fair and impartial, providing a well rounded representation of actual experiences, and therefore an accurate rating. Overall Edmunds gave it 4 stars..... The car didn't deserve a star, and that's considering an ASE certified mechanic had inspected and replaced, where necessary, every conceivable part he could. It still has a new head on it, a re-manufactured engine with under 90k miles on it, newer CV axles, new; radiator, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, etc., etc., etc. down to the tires, and even though it had the same transmission that was mated to the re-manufactured engine from the factory, that automatic transmission is GARBAGE!!! And once faced with that reality, and extensively researching it, that seems to be a rather consensus opinion of all the forums dedicated to the car.

The automatic transmission is such an issue in that generation of 626's people have tried to call for recalls, truly feel it's defective, and say the only way to salvage this car at all, should it have the automatic transmission, convert it to a manual transmission, which would cost more than the car should nearly be worth these days, and that would be even if you're doing it yourself.

I truly hate it for anyone who bought one of these things in a pickle, someone struggling with finances, in need, an elderly person. They might as well just go ahead and shoot themselves in the head. And if they don't catch on real quick they could be out thousands in other repairs, on top of what they paid initially, just to have the transmission fail going down the Interstate like I did. I don't even care to go into how much money thrown away at this point, with no way I'll come off a penny more. Fortunately someone will get it from me with the truth behind what they're getting, knowing short of a manual transmission swap it's essentially worthless, which means I will get maybe a few hundred dollars out of it, and will have lost several thousands at this point, enough I could have bought a quality used car that was allot newer, and in allot better shape mechanically.

Thanks Edmunds, I'll never seek your opinion on a vehicle again, but at least I now know that the overall star amount on your "reviews"/"consumer rating" page is totally irrelevant, that's got to be worth..................... Priceless to know up front.

I love my Mazda.
By Inelis Vazquez

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great on gas, also comfortable!

It's been a GREAT Car!
By csousa48

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 626 (5 speed) used in 2003. It had 58K miles on it. Today, I've racked up 293,000 miles on it. Yes, 293K miles, and the only major repairs were: replaced the clutch ($400), replaced front right axle ($80 part), and did other regular maintenance, like battery, tires, oil changes etc. The rear spoiler did seperate about 10K miles ago and the headliner inside the car ripped and is sagging. But the car is 15 years old. This has been the BEST car I've ever owned. It is still my daily driver. It is still fast and fun. I don't what I'm gonna do when and if it ever fails me. It's been a super great car!

Manual 5 speed is really quick and fun to drive. Gas mileage is 32mpg. Roomy.

None.

Money Pit!
By chuckcb66

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought the 4 cylinder with about 30k miles on it. Once I hit 100k every major system started breaking down. Replaced the transmission, everything on the front end from the sway bar to the tie rods and ball joints. Electrical problems. I think I put more money in this car than I paid for it. I will never buy a Mazda product again. Not built to last. Drove daily 80 miles a day all highway. The worst car I ever owned.

Good on gas

They no longer make this vehicle. Very wise choice.

2000 mazda 6 with 281k miles and still running!
By tamoshanter

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

i bought this car new in 5/00 with 16 miles.
since then, i now have over 281,000 miles on it and it's still running strong.
A/C replaced 2 yrs ago, front axles replaced last year and transmission is going out (5 sp man), but with almost all highway miles, i'm going to drive it into the ground.
otherwise, runs smooth, good pick up, comfortableand gets me there and back reliably!
happy enough that we bought a 2009 mazda 6 that my wife now drives around!

has been very reliable, comfortable, easy to drive around, maneuver and park. ride is smooth - fair pick up for only an old 4 banger

the newly remodeled 2009 mazda 6 is a much better improvement - more room inside, better engine, quieter ride