Used 2009 GMC Acadia SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 GMC Acadia SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Acadia model:

Like a Toddler - This car needs constant attention
By Tiffany

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In 2014 we bought a 2009 with 60,000 miles. It was a one owner vehicle with low miles. Nearing a year later and not even putting 10,000 miles on it we have had to have continuous repairs done. Luckily we purchased the extended warranty offered thru the bank. The navigation went out. The front day running light burned out. The lift gate stopped working. Replaced the entire exhaust system. Replaced the Rack and Pinion, tie rods, steering hose, front and rear brakes. I am now hearing a vibrating rattle noise and just noticed that the rear heat does not work and blows cold air. Overall the car blows!

Do not buy this car!
By Scott M. Combs

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Lots of electronic and mechanical issues. Many trips to the dealer. Rack and pinion went out $2200, 3 fuel injectors $1800, struts $400, lots of electrical sensors and mystery check engine issues. Would not buy another GMC!

Good & bad points
By chickaroo

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-2 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, while I like many of the practical, daily-use aspects of the Acadia, which is why I ended up buying this car (see fave features below), the mechanical unreliability would probably cause me not to buy a GMC again. I was hoping American car manufacturers had figured out the quality-thing. In the past, we've owned several Toyotas & Hondas and, while I'm "all American", next time I'll go back to the more reliable brands.

Focused on practical usage stuff: Love the power liftback! Won't ever buy another SUV without one! Hate having to put my whole body weight into closing the liftgate on my husband's 4-Runner! Love the hidden storage compartment in the cargo space. Have all my car essentials (jumper cables, 1st aid kit, tool box, tire inflator, tow hitch) out of the way & not taking up precious space in main compartment. Large cargo space with 3rd row seats folded, still decent with them up-better than most other SUV's. Interior storage is quite good-roomy console, compartments in doors, good size glove box. Good cup holders. Back-up assist (3-beep warning) is very useful, even more than rearview camera

Not the greatest on reliability-been in the shop 7 times in 6 yrs for multiple repairs & recalls at a time. Have had to replace 5 of the 6 ignition coils when 4-5 yrs old! Obvious design flaw! At $400 a pop, good thing we bought an extended warranty! Original tires were annoyingly noisy-much happier when replaced them. Seats could be more comfortable-nice contour but too firm (but that's "leather" for you). Bit of a rough ride-not bumpy so much, but sways side to side. You feel the slightest nudge of the wheel a lot, especially in the back seat. Auto control AC doesn't work well-only way to have fan on low is to turn AC temp up too warm.

Waste of my money
By wilsonmom

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLE-1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle with 30,000 miles 2 1/2 years ago with all of my savings. I wanted a vehicle that was sturdy, built well and going to last me at least 4 years. Now, 2 1/2 yrs later the transmission is blown, it needs a timing belt (which requires dropping the engine), rack and pinion needs replacing, both rear control arms are bad, and the catalytic converter is bad. This is besides the 10 other times its been into the dealer or repair shop in the 2 1/2 years for other problems. Now this vehicle is worth nothing for trade in and I have no choice but to pay over $6,000 in repairs. I spent $28,000 on this car, for what?!?! Two years of nothing but trouble. Never again GMC

Body design. That's it

GMC needs to recall the transmission. Also the rack and pinion. These are obvious reoccurring problems. Design a care that the engine does not have to be removed to change a timing belt for gods sake.

2009 GMC Acadia FIRE
By njustman

2009 GMC Acadia SUV SLT-1 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

One month ago I took my 2009 GMC Acadia to the dealer because I noticed a smell and steam coming from it. They did some minor repairs and wanted me to bring it back in a few days for more work as they spotted a small oil leak but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The next day after driving the vehicle 20 miles when I put it into park there was smoke coming through the vents. It quickly went from what appeared to be overheating, although no warning lights ever came on, to a full fire! I was able to get my children and sister out of the vehicle. I called 911 and fire responders put the fire out. Thankfully no one was injured.

Working with GMC has been a nightmare. All we have wanted was consideration on a new vehicle. We were actually considering buying a new Acadia because we liked the vehicle. What a mess. I do not believe GMC care about their customer at all.

• SUV