Used 2009 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great SUV with a few issues so far.
By Ed

2009 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Got the got Explorer brand new, Only issue i had was that rear axles lock up around 69K, had to replaced cost around $5k. Road noise is also bad, getting wind noise from the driver side window.

Love this truck
By richard glynn

2009 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought truck with 18,000 miles runs great put 9000 miles on it myself enough room for my three kids and the dog. SYNC is great hands free driving.

the v6 has good torque for passing and the sync is great with usb and bluetooth.

more small storage like coin holder standard and arm rest for back seat.

First Rate!
By Tom

2009 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my company vehicle that I got to choose. Prior to this I had a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. This is by far a better vehicle, better style, greater comfort, and a solid build. I've put on 16,000 miles so far and have had no problems. The 4x4 works great, especially the automatic 4x4, you normally won't feel it engage and the traction control works very well off road. The independent suspension all around does a great job on washboard gravel roads. My trailblazer would be bouncing sideways in the same conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Explorer to anyone needing a capable all road vehicle. Too bad they're changing it into a crossover soon, what a shame!

Body on frame construction with a true 4 wheel drive system, independent suspension with automatic 4x4, interior comfort is very good, exterior styling, the ability to tow 5000 lbs. with the V6, fuel economy has been decent also.

Ground clearance and a skid plate option would be my no. 1 change. Also it would be sweet to have an FX4 package with a differential lock for the Explorer for those needing greater off road ability as I could use.

high pitched noise 2009
By high pithed noise

2009 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We haven't had this new vehicle but 6 month already we hear a high pitched noise that is so loud that everyone stares. You would expect to see a clunker for the noise that is heard. We have taken it to the dealership but the noise goes away. We will soon be driving 2000 miles and am afraid for our safety. The mechanics at Ford simply took off wheels and put them back on only to have the same noise. They should investigate this problem or do more.

**FANTASTIC**
By Bob

2009 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Ford Explorer is the best car we have ever owned. We before owned a crappy Chrysler minivan. We bought the Eddie Bauer which had every feature. One of the nicest middle class suvs you could buy.

heated leather,sync,3 rows of seats, driver info center that tells you how many miles till empty.

more for your money. for example ours cost 36,000. for that much you could a even more loaded trailblazer. but they discountiued the trailblazers