Used 2006 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo XC90

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Bad Bad SUV. Frustrated
By Me

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the Volvo XC90 V8 due to the safety and convenience features. I have nothing but problems with the SUV. It stalls and is a hazard. Upon checking the internet, there are many purchasers that have had problems with the Volvo XC90. Next time I will stick to Toyota/Lexus. This Volvo is a headache. By the way, this is supposed to be my wife's SUV. She is 7 months pregnant. She will not be driving this vehicle! Another issue is the towing capacity. It is rated at 5000 pounds. This is with the driver only. Any passengers and cargo decreases this capacity rapidly. Also, it requires a transmission cooler and brake controller. The dealers won't install them.

Engine, packaging.

Reliability. Poor customer service of Volvo and Dealers. State towing as an actual capacity.

2006 XC90 2.5T
By Pirates

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Great SUV. Enjoy driving and great for long trips. We test drove the BMW X5 but decided the Volvo XC90 was a great SUV for about $10,000 less. More cargo room, very safe, but needs a little bit more horespower but helps in gas savings (takes regular gas) compared to the X5.

Extremely safe with so many safety features, drives like a car (really grips to the road), and excellent braking. The Premuim package really makes the car.

Needs a little more horsepower. Should include a rear cargo cover as standard option when you buy a $40K+ car.

Phenomenal Car...
By RHV

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

How often can one say that spending over $40k for an automobile was a good feeling and/or investment - although the safety of my three under 4 years old is worth $40k - not often. The XC90 is one of these autos. This is my 3rd Volvo, and it is an incredible machine. The XC90 can best be defined in two ways: powerful yet understated or aggressive yet humble...BUY THIS CAR MOM AND DAD!

Cool SUV
By JB

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This XC90 is my 2nd Volvo. I love stylish interior design, smartly engineered 3rd row seat besides excellent safety features. It's fun to drive in a highway from San Diego to San Francisco.

3rd row seat, comfortable seats, removable center console, excellent & comfort handling

rear skid plate and running boards should be standard feature, not option.

Love the car, Hate the tires!
By jfd

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My husband surprised me with this car for Christmas. I love it and I love all the safety features for it. However, when I hit 10,000 miles my tires started making noises and after 3 trips to the dealer, they told me it was the Pirelli tires and they have had problems with them. I would recommend the car but not the tires. Also, if you have two carseats in the car then it is impossible for an adult to get to the third row without climbing over seats. I agree that the inside door handles should not be plastic.

Looks great, safety is great!

Definitely put better tires on this vehicle and upgrade the door handles. Also remove that plastic ticket holder on the windshield, it does nothing but rattles. And I can't hang the preschool line pickup number from the rearview mirror.