Used 2005 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Corolla

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

All good at first
By Roxane

2005 Toyota Corolla S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Me and my car have a love hate relationship. I love the design and the way it drives. It is very easy to get around in. I bought my car in 06 it had 10,000 miles on it but looked brand new, In June of 08 the fuel pump went out (new fuel pump cost 798.00), May of 09 cylinder coil went out replaced and it still isn't running right. They just don't make Toyota like they use to.

easy to handle, great fuel millage

more dependable

Fantastic car
By LKiller

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

When purchasing this car, I had no other choices. I'm a 19 year old with limited credit, and no cosigners. I hardly even know how to drive a standard. Once I stepped into this 5 speed Corolla, I'm not going to lie, it's kept me pleased ever since I've had it. Gas mileage is EXCELLENT, and I've wanted to master the standard way of driving. Car is great to drive, performance wise, its not STI, but still has good acceleration and power for only 128 horse I think. Car does get a bit unstable in the 75mph mark or on a windy day. Feels too light for its own good. However, car is perfect for someone that just needs to get from point A to point B and have a good time doing so.

The speakers aren't as good as my kickers and woofers in my last car, but pretty impressive for stock speakers. Plus, I just learned what an engine immobilizer is and I'm glad it has that.

I wish the car had power everything. Not going to lie, I'm lazy and after my last two cars, I'm pretty sick of rolling up or down my window and pushing in or pulling up the lock. I don't care for a sunroof, but some power options would be nice. Cruise control as well please.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Dusty Jarhead

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car over four years and it's been 100% reliable, best handling car I've driven, great performance, and the seat gives my fairly seriously messed-up spine the best support I've found in a car seat. Mileage is very good - the only vehicle I've owned that used less gas was a Suzuki/Chevy Swift/Sprint. I'd buy this again without hesitation and have recommended the model to other folks since I got mine.

Ergonomics, quality

bigger rear view mirror?

Count On It!
By wtm

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with a 5 speed. Never have had it back to the dealership with any problems. Has enough stuff to get up to freeway speed safely (with some to spare). Road noise noticeable on chip- seal surfaces, but otherwise quite good. Put brakes on @ about 160,000 miles. Have never had to align vehicle and tires still wear evenly. I change oil/filter regularly (about every 5,000 miles) and don't use more than a 1/2 quart between changes. Will pass 200,000 miles this week. My driving is 70/30 freeway/city and I consistently get 35 to 37 mpg. Have gotten as high as 42.5 mpg on long trips. The epitome of function over style. Will buy another one after I have 300,000 miles on this one

Good small car
By SJN

2005 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/10k mi. Likes: Fuel economy, 38 mpg (70% hwy). Comfortable seats, roomy interior, good trunk room with fold down rear seat back feature, good acceleration & power w/5 speed manual trans, & good ride on most roads. Dislikes: OEM Gdyr Integrity tires were worn out at 20,000 mi. Replaced with Gdyr Triple-Treds. These seem to be wearing much better but are noisier. Road noise is annoying,especially over coarse pavement. Wind and engine noise are also very noticeable at highway speeds.The radio sound distorts at higher volume (cheap speakers) and is nearly useless at highway speeds when competing with the road noise. The CD player sometimes skips when I hit a bounce.

Comfortable ride with good handling, good engine power (with/AC off), nice styling (front end looks like a Lexus IS), good fit & finish. Excellent overall fuel economy (beats a lot of smaller sub-compact cars)

Telescoping steering wheel. Add more road noise insulation,better door seals to reduce wind noise,and under the hood to reduce engine noise at highway speeds). Add better quality radio speakers to base model. Upgrade the seat material. It is already showing wear at 2 yrs & 45k mi.