Used 2006 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

This car is IT
By mike06tr

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX TR 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Man I love this car. After wanting one for few years, when the 06 with the 2.5 came out I jumped on it. With a couple minor bolt ons I am just as fast as cars costing twice as much. 13.30 1/4 mile@ 101mph not bad for $23k. My last car was a 460hp Mustang so I like power.

The engine. Really pulls when the boost comes in.

Better tires, radio, and shifter.

Too much fun
By Leif_in_seattle

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I’ve been driving my WRX wagon for about two weeks now and I’m more impressed with it every day. The overall road feel and driver interface is amazing. Steering is precise, and acceleration is exhilarating, even before the turbo kicks in. Previous versions of the WRX were plagued by a pronounced turbo lag and lame torque at lower RPMs, but the new 2.5L engine in the ’06 distributes power across a much wider band. It still jumps at 3500-4000 RPMs when the turbo kicks in, but it’s quicker off the line with a much smoother transition into the turbo burst, resulting in a more even, muscular acceleration. The AWD enables it to handle great on all surfaces and under all conditions.

This car is not for everyone, but for those seeking an under $25k ride that provides thrilling performance, AWD capability and day to day practicality it would be tough to do better than the Impreza WRX wagon. Best features: Handling, acceleration, AWD, appearance, small wagon practicality.

Road noise, fuel economy, insurance cost, no iPod input, no sunroof available (except with Limited model).

WRX STi still a contender
By vallor

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been driving this beast since February. The all-wheel drive both improves handling, as well as more stable footing in snow and ice...nice, if you cross the Sierras sometimes in the winter, as I do. This machine is rally-inspired, and it shows. It took a little while to get used to the rear wing -- but you know, I'm seeing other auto manufacturers adding big rectangular wings to their offerings, too...so it's suddenly "trendsetting", heh. Finally, I can't stress enough the value of having performance tires on this vehicle -- almost always, it is its tires that are the performance bottleneck. I've shod my STi with Kumho ASX, which seemed good compromise for performance and winter driving.

All wheel drive, exceptional power, excellent handling. I'm told that the STi has had the roof strengthened for rollcage protection, but I haven't investigated it yet. Finally: the boxer engine removes almost all torque issues when accelerating.

Whatever Mitsu is doing with the Evo. Squared. Also: would be nice if dealer set suspension up for driving style of buyer. Mechanical improvements: I can't think of any -- it is what it is. The Kumho ASX tires quiet the ride down a bit from the stock Potenzas...the ride is a bit stiff, too.

2007 STI is a Very Nice Ride...
By John

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 4dr Sedan AWD w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second Subaru in 3 years, and I am sold on these cars. I had a 05 WRX wagon prior to this, and I loved it. This car however is in a whole 'nother league. Everything has been tightened up, and it handles like it's on rails. Of course with handling you give up comfort, but who cares. For a bone stock car this thing is really fast. I can see why this thing hangs with M3's. It's no slouch.. The Brembo brakes are a huge improvement over my WRX. Mileage around town stinks, but on the freeway it is not bad (around 25 @ 80). Stereo stinks, but I have a double din nav that is going in shortly. Only complaint is the wing. Not a big fan. Plus, cops and idiots seem to be drawn to it.

Xion lights, Brembo brakes. 6 speed, 300 HP.

Stock stereo is a joke. Smaller rear wing. M+S tire option at purchase.

Happy Owner
By Josh

When I first purchased my STi it was perfect. Now 6 months later I can't get enough. This is the first vehicle I ever owned which made me not want to go home and park it. It's very satisfying, very addicting and is better than a drink at the end of a hard work day. Not a dull moment. Believe it or not, I am a family man whose family enjoys going everywhere in it.

AC is great with climate control always on. Fairly quiet ride even though the car is permanently glued to the road. The engine sounds mean when idling with stock exhaust. I really enjoy getting 29 MPG with cruise control on at 68 MPH and 300 HP to boot.

The factory should tint the back three windows to reduce tailgater glare. Needs better intercooling during 100 degree summer months.