Used 2003 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Tojo's Revenge
By Duane Rorrer

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I originally bought this car for my wife. She grew to hate it so much that she asked me to swap her for our old Jeep Cherokee. After swapping, I soon learned why she hated the car so much. Lackluster acceleration, strange coughs, jerks, and a transmission that shifts when it shouldn't and doesn't shift when it should. One tank of fuel will get 25 MPG and the next only gets 17 MPG in the same area. I had it back to three different Subaru dealers multiple times and can't get any satisfaction. I have made at least 6 different requests to speak to a Subaru factory rep and I am always told to leave my number and the factory rep will call me. I'm still waiting for a call. Buyer Beware!

Windshield washer tank holds a full gallon. Outside temperature indicator very useful to warn of freezing roadways. Dual tripometers.

Completely re-engineer engine controls. Either abandon electronic shift transmission or find some competent engineers to design a new control system. Include more than one key operated door lock. Use better quality materials for interior components (carpeting, upholstery, & cheap plastic dash).

great reliability
By Ken Brown

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

A faulty remote was the only problem in the first 30,000 miles. Great car but only 25 mpg. Subaru needs a clean diesel or hybrid for those of us who worry about the environment.

All-wheel drive

Shift gate design

Good Northeast Car
By cmac

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good car for the dollar. Handles very well and gets good mileage if driven smooth. The pickup is quick but will show it is a 4 cylinder with 4 people and cargo. The seats are not that comfortable and the engine idles rough. Just change the oil and bring it for regular checkups. Tires are good but expensive to change. Rotate them often with AWD.

The AWD is the best feature. Handles well on the highway. Standard roof racks and the rear door opens upward for ease of loading. The ground clearance appears to be better than full size pickups.

I would recommend offering a V6 but the trend is to offer a new model. It would be nice if the rear window slid down, but it may allow fumes in. The luxury package seems to be worth the money.

This Subies got it
By silversubaru

2003 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We live in western New York where we deal with our fair share of snow. Let me tell you this car has what it takes. I feel so safe driving this car. On a recent trip downstate, I traveled our state thruway. The weather was terrible - snow and freezing rain. I saw several pickups and larger SUV's off the highway in ditches and snowbanks. My Subie just kept going and adjusted when making lane changes in frozen slush tire tracks. Felt solid, stable, secure.

This is my first car with heater wipers, 6 CD changer, heated side mirrors, heated seats. Love them all! Love the HUGE moonroof. The AWD is seamless and does great in all weather conditions. Best bang for the buck in any small SUV.

Let's work the on the gas mileage and bring that up some. Make the armrest taller.

looks tougher than it is
By Jimmy

2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Nice ride, good mileage and easy getting in and out. Not too quiet from the outside. The steering was off a bit after 500 miles because I went over a 2 foot high pile of dirt. A side view mirror cracked cracked in half on a winter night. The back seat is for little people only. The brakes didn't last too long either, it pulled to the right every stop after 10,000 miles.

The view from the windows, the climate control, cd sound system, all weather traction in rain or snow.

Stronger against weather and terrain.