Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 448 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Do Not Waste Your Money!
By Dissappointed

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought a 2004 Nissan Murano back in 2006, since then I have had a list of problems and issues with it. I dropped the transfer case at 62,000 miles... Since my warranty ended at 60,000 I had to fight to get the dealer to pay for it, or it would have been a $6400 fix... Also, the Murano eats Wheel Barrings! At least once a year I am replacing the barrings.. If that wasn't enough to deter you, try mysterious rattles in the dash and door, Hatch handle works when it wants to and gas mileage is not great. The Murano is a very "pretty" cross over SUV, but the mechanical issues far out-weigh the positives on this one. Do not waste your money buying one or your time repairing it.

Seat comfort, lots of leg room, CVT transmission is awesome (but expensive to fix when something goes wrong), memory seating, declining rear seat, trunk space

MP3/AUX link, better dash lighting

Don't buy a 2004 Murano
By ihatenissan

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 72,000 miles the transfer case cracked, a $4,100 repair. I agree with user nutmeg a vehicle this expensive should not have a $4,100 repair before $100,000 miles. Nissan customer service is terrible, very condescending and useless. I WILL NEVER BUY NISSAN AGAIN! This is the second lemon from Nissan I have purchased, I'm done. Nissan even issued a technical service bulletin regarding how to fix the transfer case and it is w/ 2005 specifications. They should have issued a recall. Nissan is in the business of selling cars but not building customer relationships. This will eventually catch up with them. Repeat customers are what keeps companies in business.

Recall for the transfer case (already recalled alternator!)

04 Murano a disappointment
By JHicks

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This was our 3rd and last Nissan. First 2 were awesome then came the Murano. Starting at 75k miles everything went sour. 2 sensors, 2 motor mounts, cat converter, power locks plus small things had to be replaced. I got no help from Nissan's customer service. Cat converter went 500 miles after warranty and got no help thru Nissan. After 4k+ in repairs, I finally dumped it and will never buy another Nissan. Buyer beware, do your research very carefully. I got rid of mine before the CVT failed, that would have been another $5k.

seat warmers, radio controls in steering wheel, power

Don't rush out a vehicle with faulty parts. Or stand up for your vehicle when they do fail and replace them.

Sporty and Fun
By sw

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought this car used and have had problems with the rear latch on a continuous basis. Actuator and latch were replaced and is still a problem. Had transmission problems that involved the gas peddle to stick which was covered under warranty at 60K. Gas mileage averages 19 MPG using high test and goes down if using reg. unleaded.

Love the CVT, the spaciousness, the fancy headlights and the heated leather seats and the stereo!

A lock setup on rear door and a better setup for the latch and actuator. Also, set up so that when key is in ignition that drivers door doesn't lock.

only nissans
By PEG

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Knowing Nissans the way I do I expected better. The drive was great in the beginning aside for the alternator issue which almost caused me to have a serious accident. I am continuing to be surprised by the amount of mechanical problems I'm encountering; I'm starting to think it may be a lemon with a little sugar on top. I've gotten many compliments and inquiries about handling and various other topics.

The Bose sound system.

Better interior material (seat covers), the current stains easily. Better sun visors. Larger sunroof.