Used 2001 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

"Honey" the Hyundai
By Dave Huffman

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Elantra on an impulse while out looking to replace my gas guzzling Cadillac. It caught my eye on the lot and I wanted to drive it but didn't think it would be in my price range. I test drove it and noticed it only had 45,000 miles on it & it felt tight like a new car. The seats were and remain firm yet comfortable and it had surprisingly strong acceleration. I've had it for 2 years now, and had 2 probs. One was a sensor that was fixed under warranty. The other was a wheel/hub bearing that cost $400.00 to fix. Other than that it has been great! Now when I look at or test drive other cars and get back into the Elantra I find myself asking why I am looking at other cars.

Road handling. Acceleration. Styling. My 14 year old son wants it to be his first car. He has learned to drive in it.

The radio power/volume button is very sensitive. If you try to adjust the volume you end up turning the radio off until you get used to pulling the knob out while turning it. You must have the recirculate air button off in winter while defrosting windshield & windows. Hard lesson to learn.

honest review
By danny

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my elantra for 4 years now. I've had few problems. I do have all the scheduled maintenance done by the dealership though. The braking is not as good as I would like it to be. Also the car depreciated much faster and more dramatically than I expected.I've had problems with the power windows and mirrors too. By far though...for the money... this has been an excellent car. I get a lot of positive feedback as the car performs like similar cars in its class. It has a nice ride. I've had problems with the power locks. At times it is easy to tell that the car was made on the cheap. My recomendation would be to buy one that is a year old , as they depreciate unbelievably the first year.

The 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

improved braking, poor original paint job. Overall I am happy. Dealership scheduled maintenance is way too expensive. $700??? thats crazy (ny)

Really injoyable car
By frank jaehnig

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the first foreign make that I had ever bought. I was interested because of the warranty, but once I drove one I knew I had to buy it and I have not been sorry. I now have 52000 mile on it and I love just as much now as when I first purchased it. I think that any Toyota or Honda drivers should try this car before they buy their next as it is a great car for the money.

Great sounding radio and tape system and the air cond.is super. Also the quickness for a 4 cylinder is amazing.

Lower the cost of routine service work as it is overpriced.

excellant valu for money
By solarbear

2001 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

only problem I've had was tires wore out
after 24,000 miles,.

warrantee is excellant and design is really up there with more expensive cars like honda and nissan

service can be cheaper and better.

Glad i went for it!
By Cleaver

2001 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was if'y about buying a Hyundai i
will admit.Mildly put the Excel was
JUNK! I have owned every Jap vehicle
known and loved them all but i took the
chance and after 21/2 yrs am still
happy with my decision. My GT runs
flawlessly! I have with a few tweaks
here and there acheived 37mpg on a trip
and have never got less than 30!! You
couldnt touch a Honda or Toyota with
all the accessories for under 20grand
and some options arent even available
from them! You do hear complaints but
remember Toyota and Honda in the 70's?
Look at them now! Personally the worst
vehicles are American sadly...Look at
the recalls!,After 100yrs or close to,
We still cant get it right

A/C,Stereo, Mileage,Quietness,All the options!THE SEATS! By far the most comfortable seats i ever owned and people who have rode with me and kinda laughed at it said the same! Also when i bought it cruise was not a selling feature for me but now? I LOVE IT!

A little more torque off idle would be good. Also a better switch design for the rear wiper it is a bit funky. When is Hyundai going to build a SMALL pickup seeing everyones so called "small" pickup is almost full sized now? What happend to the little 4cyl pickup?