Used 2005 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 386 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

So far, so good...
By golfguy

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this pilot used about 1 year ago and so far it has met my high expectations. It rides great, has plenty of interior room for anything we want to carry, will pull a medium sized trailer with no problem, and I'm happy.

I like the easy fold-down second row seats, and I like the ride.

Better gas mileage would be nice!

I Adore This Car
By Elizabeth

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the greatest car I've ever owned. Just had to trade it in for a CRV (financial issues) but had the EX-L, which has been almost perfection to own. I was initially worried about the size of the vehicle, but it is such a smooth ride, wisely placed windows (almost no blind spot), and with plenty of pickup, the size was irrelevant almost immediately. I particularly loved the cargo space in the back, and the very comfortable third row. The dash was generally intuitive, and the center console very accessible and full of space. The seats were incredibly comfortable, long or short drives it was amazing. Like any big SUV, would have liked better mileage, but LOVE this car!

Heated, comfortable seats, safety, size, luxurious trim, amazingly quiet ride, very little I didn't like!

Mileage could have been better, but with a car this size understandable...

Still Going Strong
By MikeM

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 4 years and overall still happy with the Pilot EX-L (non-Nav). The only issue has been the "auto up/down" switch on the drivers door so not bad. Plenty of room for family of three + large dog. Superb handling in the snow and drives/rides like a car, comfortable on long trips. Gas mileage is awful, we have never come close to the advertised mpg even under optimal conditions. Nothing overly jaw- dropping about the Pilot--simply Honda quality, does what is designed to without fanfare.

AWD handling in bad weather, loads of interior space, bullet-proof reliability.

Poor resale value compared to Toyota, awful gas mileage, a bit more power would be nice. Tow package should come standard on EX. Expensive accessories.

Disappointed in first Honda
By Bob Rapoza

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this Honda because it carries up to 8 people we didn't want a bigger SUV. The battery died in the first year while on a trip, had to replace it. The rear latch for the hatch has fallen off three times and I have had to screw it back on. Makes a loud noise when driving at highway speed with windows down. Now at 63,000 miles, we have a broken motor mount. None of these items are serious, but I expected more from Honda, especially for the money we paid (we purchased the top model of the Pilot). The gas mileage also isn't very good for a 6 cylinder.

Styling, smooth ride at highway speed.

Improve build quality. We bought the Honda because its reputation as a well built car.

All wheel drive
By Pedro Cortez

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car is great. Except the All wheel drive maintenance! I change the engine oil every 3K, but the differential HAS to be changed every 5K (6K). This is pricey at every other oil change. Other than that, I would probably buy another one, in 12 years. I also found and replaced the air filter with a cold air intake. A little bit better gas mileage, and bit better performance off the line.

Interior. Very roomy.

I don't know if the All wheel drive version is still in production, but figure out a new mechanism that doesn't require so much attention.