Used 2005 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 177 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Not worth the repairs
By bioc06

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My '05 Focus has been prone to maintenance issues.
Despite following the scheduled maintenance guide and having less than 50,000 miles, the transmission has gone. The cause, according to the mechanic, is wear and tear on a band, and nothing could have been done to prevent it.
Twice, the alignment has gone out.
No cause was given.

The car is comfortable, gas mileage is reasonable. Heats up quickly in the winter, cools quickly in the summer.

Better quality parts.

Great Ford Product!!
By Kimberly

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car - this is my second 2005 Ford Focus ZX4! The first one I bought was in 2005 Sangria Red I drove it for 2 years and put 35,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it!! I traded it in for a bigger car Mercury Grand Marquis also a Great Ford product - but I missed the little Ford Focus. Five years later driving past a Ford dealership I spotted from the road 2005 white Ford Focus ZX4 - I pulled in and bought another one! This one had the same exact mileage 5 years later as the one I traded in - it was fate - meant to be. Its just a fun little car to drive! Great gas mileage If I drive the speed limit I get 37 mpg on the highway (manual 5 speed). Everyone should own one!!

It's American Made!! - Fun to drive, it's quick, roomy inside, great gas millage, great quality, performance and dependability.

An arm rest in the center for both driver and passenger seat.

Great car
By Dbay

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is actually my wife's car. She bought it nearly new and has done little maintenance and received so much more in return. Just replaced factory brakes at 90,000. No major repairs to date. Handles great in the snow and gets about 34-36 mpg. We love it.

MPG, reliability, large trunk

For some reason the car doesn't have cruise control. Didn't think it was even an option not to have cruise in '05.

Fuel pump trouble
By rurba546

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 40,000 miles. Drove it to 45,000 and found the factory battery needed to be replaced. It also started to die when it got below 1/4 tank. I replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help, to be safe I kept it above 1/4 tank whenever possible. A month went by and the trouble returned stranding me half way through a 150 mile trip. Turns out the fuel pump was shot as I feared. Expensive repair due to the fact that the gas tank had to be removed to get to the fuel pump. I hope this is the last major repair for awhile. I like the car a lot otherwise so far. But, doesn't come close to my last car, a 1996 Chevy Cavalier that was awesome and gave me almost no trouble!

Very solid and practically built overall. Handles great. All the features one would expect in a cheap compact. Gas mileage is as expected but not amazing, low 30s on average. Easy to change oil and do other basic maintenance if elevated. Good-sized trunk. Interior and controls are decent.

Fuel system could be a lot better. Lots of vibration and road noise. Not at all impressed with acceleration even for its size. A little tight in the front, very cramped in the backseat, even for a compact. Exterior design is ugly, but my car is black, which makes it seem not so bad.

Meh
By Joey

2005 Ford Focus Sedan ZX4 SES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from a Grand Prix GT (3.8 V6) I am getting the same mileage in the city as I am in the SLOWcus (~23 mpg city). Seems to be reliable though. Trunk unlock is a PITA. Lifetime air filter. Sporty kinda. Get blinker & steering wheel controls confused. Ceiling compartment (sunshades, garage door) blocks part of view from rear view mirror if your tall (6 ft).

Spoiler, Steering wheel controls, MP3 6 CD changer, Fog lights.

Bigger backseat, Smaller antenna, Driver's seat pouch on back of seat! The SLOWcus has nothing on a Pontiac Grand Prix is all I will say. I won't be back.