Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great Little Car
By cwalsh

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this for about a year but have really enjoyed it. We have put new tires and battery but that's it. I have all records from previous owner and as far as I can tell nothing major has ever been done to it. We have done regular oil changes and maintenance. Very impressed with it. I'm actually trying to sell it but only to get a van for traveling. Otherwise I'd keep it.

For a small car it has great cargo space in the back, and great gas mileage.

Don't really have any

Awesome!
By susmck

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Focus totaled. It has done nothing but run beautifully since I have had it with 90,000. I knew the person who had it before me and she had no problems either. I have 136,000 miles on it and lots more to go!

Cd player, windows, acceleration etc.

Nothing!

Stay away!
By ihateford

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car put my through hell! First everything was fine, then back right window broke, it would shake uncontrollably, it would stop for no apparent reason, and overall money it was not worth it!

nothing!

Worst car ever
By SOKnight

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Fords before but this will be my last. All the tires needed replacing when I went over normal potholes and they developed bubbles or got flat. Then the slave cylinder went. 3 of the 4 wheel bearings needed to be replaced, the CD player died, the shifter cable died, the front coil springs broke (there's a silent recall on these fyi), the windshield just cracked for no reason, the plastic on the bottom of the windshield came loose and the car gets water in the passenger side, and then there is that mysterious exhaust smell when I turn into my driveway, there was some radiator problem too but I don't recall what, now the A/C needs to be recharged, then there's a broken fan resistor.

OK with all that, the car has wonderful handling and is a lot of fun to drive. It takes corners better than any car I've ever owned.

Where to begin. I've only got 94K on the car and I drive like a grandma and get the car services regularly and the multitude of problems in unbelievable. Worst car I've ever had, unfortunately b/c my family has owned Fords since the 60's. Never again.

The Tank
By Amy Royer

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 5 speed ZX3 in 2005 with 48,000 miles on it and I just totaled it out with 143k miles. I loved this car but the tires wore out easily and cost $110 a tire, the housing unit for the temperature thingy had to be replaced, the cd player was replaced twice and still didn't work, the moon roof would malfunction, at 130,000 the front struts started to go and there was an oil leak, I had to replace the battery 4 times and the driver side door handle constantly broke. Despite all that I did run the car hard and it ran well up until about 115k miles and it held together through the few accidents I was in keeping me and my 2 year old safe. It's nickname was tank for a reason.

Great pick up, loved the moon roof and power locks/windows

different tires