Used 2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great SUV
By Rudy

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

Bought my '00 Explorer brand new and have had nothing but exceptional service from it. 23 mpg hwy and 18.5 in town. Tune up and trans. flush at 90K miles. A/C still cold. Radio LED's burned out at 110K and that's a pain but radio still plays great. Liked this car so much I ordered an '07 as my company vehcile for the next 3 yrs. If you need a good used SUV this model is a great choice!

Very comfortable and dependable. The 4.0l SOHC motor has plenty of power without being a gas hog.

A tad more interior width would be nice but not critical.

Great Auto
By EKF

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

I bought this Explorer new. Pulled small box trailers and boats all over the South and Southwest. Never have had any trouble. Only did regular maintenance. It has been hard on tire, but all of my other SUVs were also. It comes with the territory in these vehicles. The back wiper has never worked right, but not a big problem. Stills runs great. Uses no oil. The model has taken a lot of bad publicity, but mine has just been excellent. I would buy another.

It is just very comfortable for long trips. I have had others and they don't compare with the comfort for the driver. Versatile vehicle.

None that they have not already added to the new models.

Extremely Reliable
By Walt

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used from leasing company. Rolled over 183K problem free with regular, normal maintenance (oil changes every 4K, transmission flush every 35K). Replace brake rotors / pads about every 60K, but only because I feel safer doing so. Engine, transmission very quiet, smooth. Changed spark plugs at 90K and 175K, spark plug wires at 175K. Not sure how much more anyone could ask for.

Reliability, solid body, good instrumentation, highway mileage 20+, enough power for light towing. Great air conditioning system.

Compass failed at 180K, but I still now the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Who cares?

Love this car
By Lauren

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV

This was my family's 4th Explorer and we're going to continue buying Explorers because they are great SUVs. Everything was great about it, I never had any problems. When the car was totalled it had over 150,000 miles on it and it was running strong. I got into a pretty bad accident in it and it held up really well and no one was injured. I feel like this is a really safe car and I really liked it a lot.

I really love the way it drives and looks. It's also a good size, not too big so it's easy to park

Good at first
By pudd21

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved my Explorer! I had no major problems until I hit 100,000 miles and then it fell apart. Had problems with the rear wiper, driver door locks, transmission, spark plugs, radio light, knocking sound in the engine and all of it happened in about three months. It's now in the shop and hope to trade for a newer model when it gets fixed.

Looks, all the extras, lots of room, and lots of cupholders.

Mostly mechanical.