Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

This car is JUNK
By Craig

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought it used and I have had it over 5 years. Gas mileage is not bad. The interior is OK. I have put brakes on it nearly every year. The A/C randomly stops working. The blower only works on 3 or higher. I have had coolant leaks. Now, my mechanic tells me there is nothing I can do to keep the engine from overheating. The body underneath the gas cap is rusted though. I have seen this on many Malibu's. The turn signals randomly stop working. Don't even think of buying this car, even as a transportation special.

Maliboooo! Bad Car!
By Malibu no more

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This car had been horrible! Bought it used from a dealer and bought the extended warranty, that was lucky as the knocking and the leaking head gasket wrecked the engine. The insurance paid for its replacement. Then the second engine started doing the same thing! It made a loud knocking sound that "GM does not consider it a problem." Then it overheated and the mechanic did not think it is worth replacing this engine. So the car is junk. We have had the gas door rusting issue and the ignition switch not working issue,the and the turn signals not working issue too. The interior is cheap and we had to replace two speakers that failed. The fan motor does not work in the low speed settings

The tires seem to wear out fast too.

I would not buy from GM again until I see that they will stand behind their products! This car never should have left the factory! Make sure to buy an extended warranty!

GM stop making lemons!
By MikeDJ

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Malibu couple of years ago, thinking is a good balance between price, performance and quality! We were sooo wrong! Although the price was cheap, but not cheap enough to justify the poor performance and the overall quality. The engine is a junk (we had to replace the intake gasket), the A/C system has to be recharged monthly (the compressor and few other things has to be replaced)-still is not working properly! Overall costly repairs!!!

I can't think about too many... maybe let's say is roomie enough for 2 adults and 2 kids and a lot of baggage...

First of all ENGINE. Suspensions (are too soft and "mushy"). A/C has low efficiency (you are wondering if is working or not). Seats (are uncomfortable for long rides). Cruise Control should be standard because will improve fuel efficiency (if you care about this issue!).

Suprisingly reliable!
By twelveboy

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car in 2003 and it had 30k miles on it. We barely took care of it. I got it at 70K miles a few years later and drove it into the ground and it was always very reliable! Great acceleration for a standard V6 Chevy! Seats were uncomfortable on long trips but for the price and treatment we gave it, it was an extremely reliable car. It was sold to a friend of mine, it now has 115k miles on it and still has needed nothing in repairs! I cannot believe it!!!

Good power, cheap, reliable transportation, I got 30mpg on highway at 85-90 mph!

Better seats for back support.

Run To The Hills
By Mot

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 2000 Chevy Malibu in 2003 it had a little over 24000 miles on it.It seemed a good deal for just over 10000. As of 2009 I have probably had over $7000 in repairs. Right now I think the power steering system has passed away. I have had all sort of leaks and wire replacements. I was told by my mechanic that due to the Dexcool coolant that the manual says you are supposed to use it messes up various wires and causes it to overheat. If it wasn't for parental help I would probably be broke and in the gutter. A little after I bought it when I went to use the AC or heater the fan levels periodically stopped working. Driver's side sun visor somehow broke off in my hands. Be wary

Retire It.