Used 2003 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Outback - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Outback

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Belongs in the junkyard!!!
By eva

2003 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife was talked into this car when she bought it. We wanted a safe and affordable wagon, but that doesn't mean subaru is a great car either!!! The exterior is disgusting, and wind noise is terrible. I can barely hear people talking! It accelerates like a donkey. Don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

cheap price and safety

Suggested Improvements

quiet interior,better looks,and better acceleration

Lives up its reputation
By TP

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased with my Outback LL Bean H6 Wagon. Although it produces annoying wind noise (apparently a Subaru trait), and can use a five speed auto transmission to move it up hills easier, the H6 is very smooth and moves well on the highway. I find it enjoyable and fun to drive. It handles well, and I like the ride. The posi rear hinders the performance in snow as compared to non-posi Subarus, but you still feel secure. My brother's had 7 Subarus and talked me into buying this one. I'm glad he did. It was between this and the 4Motion VW Passat Wagon, but after talking to former and current VW owners, and reading that the VW's reliability reviews were horrific, it was an easy decision.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, smooth handling, silky ride, 6 CD changer, solid ride and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the posi rear-end. Give the windows a frame to limit wind noise. Provide better quality leather seats, these are rather thin. Add a trip computer. Make it easier to remove and install the roof rack cross members. Add stereo controls to the steering wheel. Allow the rear seats to fold down flat

Made for Minnesota
By car lover

2003 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have test driven this car many times and when I finally moved north I bought a certified used one. I don't drive off road, so I just love this car so much that I'm going to buy a new one, the Legacy Wagon which is set up a little more for street driving. I used to have a Mercedes C230 Sport, and this car drives just like that. Can't wait for the new one, but at 43,000 miles, heated seats, and all the comforts I need, I can wait happily for a fair price before making the change. Kind of a cargo hauling-sports car- family-suv and more all purpose comfort car without the SUV pickup truck mileage. I get 25- 29mpg. I'll miss it, but not much has changed with the new ones.

Favorite Features

Seats, AWD, roominess, handling,

overall great vehicle
By Light

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Subaru has proven again to be a terrific car in all the most important levels. Interior design is still in the works (this being our second Outback over the last six years). The driving safety and ease we rate the highest. This car has prevented accidents and is a great bad weather car. We take it off road and it is amazing. It is easy to maintain and has been totally reliable. We love the looks and feel of our Legacy Outback. We will remain loyal Subaru owners. The driver's and forward passenger windows are noisy(wind type noise), with was the case with our first Subaru also. They maybe able to be adjusted. Other than that, we are totally and utterly happy with this car

Favorite Features

SAFETY, HANDLING, and EASE of driving and maintenance. We love the heated seats as a comfort factor. Our car has nearly driven itself on some car trips of over 1,000 miles. We can't say enough about how much we love our Legacy Outback.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders and their placement are a big improvement over our 2000 model. We would suggest the forward roll down window design be reviewed. Both our 2000 and 2003 models have developed window noises while driving. PLEASE someone address this issue this makes trips not nearly as peaceful.

Like my Outback
By J. Coulter

2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been really pleased with my Outback in general. The only problem I have had with driving it is going up moderate hills. A lot of my driving takes place in the lower Sierra foothills, usually less that 1200 ft, and the car seems reluctant to climb even small grades, at one point, even bucking a bit. The dealer told me I was lucky I had a 6 cylinder. and that Subarus didn't like hills. Structurally, it is made with a kind of depression in the lower part of each front door. A number of people have pointed out to me that I have been "hit." Looked that way to me too, before I realized that the car was that way on both sides.

Favorite Features

Like the dashboard and interior. Like its overall dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Rev up its' hill climbing ability, and get rid of the depressions in the door.