Oil Consumption
By jeanette101 on
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I have had this car since February almost a year. It is using oil and John Howard told me to bring it in every 1000 miles so they can check and add oil if it needs it and document it. My brother also has this car in the hatchback model and it is using oil too. He lives in PA and garage there told him to drive it in anytime it is low on oil so they can add it and document it. Please email me if anyone else is having this problem.
Favorite Features
The headlights are very bright don't see no need for fog lights.
Suggested Improvements
Figure out why the 2.0 engine is using oil and quit lying about the gas mileage.
By bostonjill
on 08/30/13 07:38 AM (PDT)

Yup, just how it is according to Suburu. Apparently "severe driving conditions" includes the entire northeast, the midwest, the northwest and the south. This is because it snows or it's hot. Really? Otherwise a cute car. Not roomy front passenger and yes, the stereo is terrible. For a small car, the hatchback is great, again small, and it's a decent budget car, though not really budget.

By jc_42
on 05/29/13 08:08 AM (PDT)

I too am seeing unacceptable oil consumption. About 2000 miles after an oil change, the light will come on. Subaru customer service and dealership are telling me, that's just how it is. Very frustrating.

By lb72
on 05/29/13 05:09 AM (PDT)

I bought the hatchback a year ago in february also. One month into it, the oil light came on. Since then, I've had to add oil ~every 1500-2000 miles. To me, it's ridiculous. I've never had to add oil to any vehicle I've owned (toyota, nissan, honda), except with regular oil changes. Subaru says it's normal. I wouldn't buy another.

By stillyourking
on 02/25/14 14:06 PM (PST)

I had the same issue, but it resolved itself when I switched to a different oil filter. Seems the Fram and Bosch filters I used previously didn't have a great fit from the rubber seal. With Mobil 1, no oil light. Hope this helps.

By fredjohnson
on 03/01/14 21:56 PM (PST)

Same issue with my 2012 Impreza. Around 2 qts of oil every 3k miles. Car has 25k miles on it. Very unhappy. Will not buy another Subaru. Never had this problem with any of my Honda's or Toyotas.