Used 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2012 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

made of cheap plastic
By neveragain70

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Driven 46k. Mtor and drive OK, But burns oil, doesn't delver promise mpg and airbag and track warning lights continual go off and on due to poor engineering and sensor designs. Particularly digusting is fact that the outer body is made of thin cheap plastic with parts held on without screws. As such fog light covers are continually failing off and the body parts break with even gentle contact. I have been driving for 40 plus years and I have never seen such poor quality.

Suggested Improvements

buy a higher end car

Great AWD, some annoying weaknesses
By hughk4

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this because I needed AWD, but didn't want a truck or an SUV. When conditions make AWD necessary, I love this car. Other times I like it a lot, but there are several things that keep me from loving it. See my suggested improvements for these comments. If you need AWD, this car has very few competitors in its price range. Of the 4 cars I own, when weather is bad, everyone wants to drive the Impreza.

Favorite Features

AWD! Reliability - it always starts and never gets stuck. Roomy interior - comfortable for driver and passengers, even in the back seat. Easy to load and transport 2 dogs or carry lots of gear with the rear seats folded forward. AWD AWD and, oh yeah... AWD!

Suggested Improvements

Heater core too small, doesn't provide enough heat. Of the 9 cars I've owned, this is the only one that doesn't provide sufficient heat during MN winters. Trip computer shows MPG higher then you really get when you calculate it yourself at the gas station. Mud flaps have lots of nooks and crannies that hold snow and ice - again, worst in this regard versus all other cars I've owned and driven in MN winters. Stereo and speakers very poor for critical listening, even compared to similar priced cars. Could use an extra inch of ground clearance. CVT trans is OK but the manual shift paddles (it's a CVT for goodness sake) neither improve performance or mileage so I ignore them and use "D".

More Daewoo than Subaru
By stillyourking

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

As an owner of a '12 Subaru Impreza 2.0 Premium, I wouldn't recommend the purchase of this car. The quality is far less than that of the '08 - '11 Impreza. The engine is loud, and has intense vibration, weatherproofing is shoddy, road noise interferes with conversation, interior materials rattle, and scratch easily. The seat fabric has folded in some parts, and became unwoven in others, the driver seat squeaks when your body shifts (only 178 lbs). Seats are uncomfortable on long trips (my Pontiac Vibe had more comfortable and supportive seats). Gets a combined 28 MPG (rated as 27/36 MPG).

Favorite Features

The CVT is fun to drive, it handles and corners well. AWD is nice in snow and wet conditions. The brakes worked well in avoiding potential accidents.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior paint scratches and scuffs almost on command (22 chips in on the hood over 24 months/30,000 miles of ownership). There are many small scratches from reusable grocery bags put on the roof of the trunk, which is just disappointing. The chrome tail pipe has blackened.

I love my Impreza!!!!!
By ryanlongacre

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

For years I've been driving Toyota's. When it came time for me to buy a new car though, I wanted something different. I found the different in a brand new 2012 Subaru Impreza Premium. So far, it is AMAZING!!!! I've never been excited about a car, but this I'm pinching myself going, "Hey, this really is your car....this isn't a dream." I realize that I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I do plan to update this review in time to point out any problems or issues I've come across.

Favorite Features

iPod Integration. Bluetooth, interior illumination. The fantastic look of the car. Alloy Wheels

Suggested Improvements

Flux Capacitor

A great car, for the most part
By nkrish

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

When I initially got the car, it was winter and I did get some not-so-impressive mileage ratings which made me think I had made a bad decision, since mpg was one of the biggest factors for buying this vehicle. But it got better in a few months after getting it - either because the engine was broken in, or because it is summer now. I am happier now than I was then. Some minor issues prevent me from giving it an awesome rating.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive Good miles per gallon returned in actual driving. Especially on highway, when you keep to about 60-65 mph - you will get awesome mpg, but it is hard to do that when you everybody is driving at 75 mph! I got all weather package - heated seats and mirrors and I love it. I love that I can use the Auxiliary input or the bluetooth input for listening to audio. I love that I can stretch my legs (I am 5'8", but I like my legs stretched almost straight), without cramping the passenger behind me.

Suggested Improvements

When I try talking on the phone with bluetooth, the people on the other never hear me well. It is not an issue with the phone - and I have been on a mazda3 with similar setup and it did not have similar problems. This is annoying, since I paid for this feature which seems absolutely useless. At this price , it should have had the temperature control instead of the manual controls. When I first bought the car, the buttons for changing the time were missing! The panel was installed incorrectly and I had to go back to the dealer to get this corrected. It was frustrating to look at the panel with incorrect time for a month and explain to passengers about the issue with a brand new car!