Used 2009 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda Mazda6

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Great choice
By montrealer2095

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Mazda 6 and have been very happy with both. The 4 cyl engine is a bit wheezy, but I commute a long way each day and was a worthwhile tradeoff vs. the V6 to get the extra mileage, which is good but not great. My quibbles are a phantom squeak and the a/c isn't strong enough for those of us who live in the South. I was rear ended by a Camry a few weeks ago and the 6 lived up to its excellent crash ratings. Car was in decent shape and the Camry was a writeoff. No doubt this is the best value in its class.

Favorite Features

Steering is crisp, no major dead spots. Braking and handling are both outstanding

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage mediocre and a/c a bit lifeless.

Love fades
By mazda convert

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Bought it new but seem to be owning it used. Rattles and squeaks abound. Does drive and handle well. Great pickup great brakes. Transmission down shift feels odd at lower speeds, almost like it stuck in neutral. Wind noise in cabin too loud at freeway speeds. Sound system is average or below par. I find the driving position/seat comfortable. Enjoy spirited driving. the interior and reliability does not live up to the exterior and performance.

Favorite Features

exterior styling, driving fun, blind spot monitoring, seats.

Suggested Improvements

more attention to quality. better mpg

Tons better than my 2008 Honda Accord
By MNA2002

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought an '08 Accord in March 2008. It was plagued with fault brakes and other electrical problems. So, buh-bye Accord. I know Mazda owners and test drove the '09 6. I had parked by Accord next to a 6 at the dealer's. The 6 made the Accord look like a dowdy Buick. The 6 has had zero problems. The interior is 10 times better than the Accord. The power seat is fantastic for my long legs. On the highway I get 30 mpg -- the Accord got 33, so it's a little less. I like a reliable car, and I do believe that I have found it. I've read some unfortunate things about the current Accords. The 6 might not hold its resale value as much as the Accord, but I won't have the car repairs that Accord needs.

Favorite Features

The sporty sexy styling, the interior, the fit and finish, the ease of using the features such as the clock. The clock has 2 buttons 1 for hour 1 for minutes. Changing the clock is so easy to do without having to be a programmer and to execute some convoluted 12 step process

Suggested Improvements

There is no warning from the car if I have turned it off and am getting out of it. I had not realized that I had grown so dependent on hearing a reminder bell.

2009S Grand Touring
By Shadetree

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove a four cylinder with four adults on board. Went straight to the V6. Love the power and this car has power. Took a trip with four adults and luggage, drove generally 10 over the speed limit. Was surprised to get 27.7 mpg. Another trip with just myself and setting the cruise on the speed limit, I got just over 30 mpg. Mileage is not as bad as advertised. Have 21000 on the car now and have had zero problems, same as the 04 Mazda 6 we had. Love driving this car when I can get it away from my wife. Powerful, smooth running and shifting, handles, and 100% reliable, the ride is a bit firm along with the leather seats, can be taxing on a long trip. Couldn't be happier that I own this car.

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring, heated seats, climate control, rain sensing wipers, keyless entry and ignition, seat memory, navigation system, Bose stereo, sun roof, handles great, excellent acceleration, and a smooth as glass automatic transmission. Did I mention a hoot to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Build a little more comfort into the seats. This isn't an issue for average commutes. You feel it on a 300 to 400 mile trip though.

So Far So Good
By zoomtex

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought used with 8K miles. 6sp Manual fun to drive but could be geared taller. Very close ratios, do not use all 6 in normal driving. But if you want to thrash it, it's fun. Impressed with trunk. Headed on trip in old minivan with 5 people, but it broke down. Switched all people and gear to Mazda and went on 3Kmi road trip. Immense trunk swallowed luggage with ease. Got up to 33 mpg @75 mph. Enough room in back to prevent fratricide. Came back from that trip very happy with vehicle.

Favorite Features

Stereo with aux input, and multiple DC outlets. Large trunk with non- intruding hinges. Remote fob opens front windows (great in TX summer). Symetric styling of gauges and and switches is much improved over previous Mazda 6. Gas Mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Lower gearing for 6 speed. Tachs at 3K @ 70 mph. Folding side view mirrors. AC vents for back seat.