Used 2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Bought the car new.
By 09mazda6gts

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the car and have no regrets buying it. There have been a few issues with the car. The battery went bad at two years. The rain sensing wipers are irritating. They will go into high speed in light rain. I bought nav but never use it, (I have Google Maps on my smart phone, much easier to use). I got locked in the car when my wife got out with the key and the doors locked when she walked away. I had to lay on the horn to get her to come back and let me out. The dealer had never heard of that. This wasn't a one time deal, it happens every time in the same situation. 63K on it now, replaced the tires and brakes. The power is great and the tranny is super smooth. Would buy again.

Favorite Features

The car came loaded. Love the sunroof, traction control, stability control, BSM, seat memory, heated seats, XM radio, etc. Traction control has to be turned off when punching it from a dead stop. The wheels spin plenty, especially on half worn tires. This car is fast! I was going to try it at the strip. The transmission is so smooth, up shifting and down shifting that I didn't want to take a chance wrecking something just to see how fast it is. I never back down from a red light challenge though.

Suggested Improvements

The wide wheels have no protection when touching the curb. If you touch the curb, it's the wheels that make first contact, not the tires. It would be nice to have a way to disable the rain sensing wipers. It has to be auto sensing, on, or off. There is no intermittent setting. Redesign the door lock system so the doors can be opened from the inside once they're locked. Can't believe there isn't a recall on this. There is a recall for the door hinge bolts falling out, haven't had that problem yet. This is a great car and I intend to keep it for many more years. The reliability has been excellent.

Zoom Zoom is everywhere
By adick75

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Great car for value on the market. Good millage as a cars with over 270 PS under hood average 21 miles per gallon. Bed side is only limited speed to 132 mph. In Germany hgwy no doubt. You can get easy over 155 mph and the worst is that this car can do it more than that. Nice acceleration 0-60 under 6.5 s. Beast!!! Only speed limit and breaks poor quality (pads changed after 14K miles and rotors after 22K) are under average. Also hand set free system is screwed only for US and Canada with dailling European nr you can do it on phone book.

Favorite Features

Iluminate dash controls (blue and orange clocks) Awsome. Bose system and traction. Zoom Zoom ZOOOOOOOM. I deffenetly love it.

Suggested Improvements

Breaks (poor quality need to be much better for that kind of power) and no offer 4x4. Shame

Still Perfect
By danalube

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car new and have racked up about 60,000 miles. Most of those miles were in Florida. The A/C kept my dark car and dark interior very cool. I do have window tint, which helps. In Summer 2011, I drove it from Tampa to Seattle. The cross country drive was very comfortable and problem free. The stereo with Sirius/XM has decent sound and the nav system got me to my new home with no problems either. All I've done to it so far is oil changes and tire rotations. New tires are going on this year. The only thing that I would improve on this car is the handling and better brakes. Previous car was an RX-8. I got spoiled with the brakes and handling on it.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort/convenience. Looks like RX-8 in front. Great pickup for a sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Handling Brakes that will handle the power in this car

2009S Grand Touring
By Shadetree

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove a four cylinder with four adults on board. Went straight to the V6. Love the power and this car has power. Took a trip with four adults and luggage, drove generally 10 over the speed limit. Was surprised to get 27.7 mpg. Another trip with just myself and setting the cruise on the speed limit, I got just over 30 mpg. Mileage is not as bad as advertised. Have 21000 on the car now and have had zero problems, same as the 04 Mazda 6 we had. Love driving this car when I can get it away from my wife. Powerful, smooth running and shifting, handles, and 100% reliable, the ride is a bit firm along with the leather seats, can be taxing on a long trip. Couldn't be happier that I own this car.

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring, heated seats, climate control, rain sensing wipers, keyless entry and ignition, seat memory, navigation system, Bose stereo, sun roof, handles great, excellent acceleration, and a smooth as glass automatic transmission. Did I mention a hoot to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Build a little more comfort into the seats. This isn't an issue for average commutes. You feel it on a 300 to 400 mile trip though.

Zoom Zoom Mazda 6
By jb26wcu

2009 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I got a Black Mazda 6 3.7l V6 Gran Touring with Black Leather. I really believe the car is the best in its class. It has more styling than the accord, camry, malibu or altima. It is the fastest in its class too. If everyone in the market for an altima or accord test drove the mazda I believe it would out sell both. My sister has the v4 altima and the only thing that is better about her car then mine is I think the leather is of better quality in the altima. Other than that Mazda wins on every level!

Favorite Features

The Smart Key system, Blind Sport Monitoring is very helpful/useful and the rain sensing windshield wipers are also cool.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they made the v6 in manual, used a better quality of leather on the seats. Make the Display on the radio larger and make the car faster. A 0-60 time under 6.0 would be great!