Used 1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Better than expected
By Ad

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have read many reviews of people complaining about Volvo reliability. I found my car to be trouble free. It is the base model without the turbo, so that could be part of the reason. The car feels very solid and is very fun to drive. My other car is an 80's Porsche and I enjoy this car just as much. It is comfortable after a long day at work, and I don't mind driving it in rain or snow. Aside from normal oil changes, I am replacing my original struts that have 134,000 miles on them. Everything else seems find and I plan to drive this car for a very long time. If I were to sell it, it would be for a T5 S70. The best fuel economy I received was 32mpg. This is excellent considering the safety.

Fuel economy without compromising safety, and handling. This car is fun to drive quickly in turns. I also hear many compliments on how comfortable the car is. Adjusting for inflation, this car was $38,000 new. They are bargains today.

Bring back the S70 (make the S60 larger). Also, build more Volvos with manual transmissions and turbos.

What a lemon
By Disappointed

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was a problem from a month after I bought it. It wouldn't start. Back to dealership about 4 times on flatbed truck. Dealer was great. Car not. Then problem finally solved, and all sorts of little things went wrong. Antenna gear broke, driver's door hinge broke, trunk hinge broke, trunk lock broke, air bag stopped working, and a big thing, stalled on freeway. Never buy another Volvo. I'm heartbroken.

My 1999 Volvo S70 sedan experience
By David

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new and have ever since. Volvos are not worth original luxuary prices. Overall experience is okay. The 162 hp engine is too small for the car. For 172 hp, one needs to add turbo($2000 extra). At high speed with A/C running, it has no power left to pass. Interior noise and engine whinning at low speed are annoying. Suspension is too stiff and you feel all bumps. It has been pretty much trouble free and dependable so far. Good looking and excellent paint job and A/C. Master brake failed at 55000 mile. Repair is very expensive. Depreciation of all Volvos are abominable for European automobile. As bad as Jaguar.

Good gas mileage for 5 cylinder - Highway 33/32, city 19/18 Structurally sound and good external design. Being a boxy looking car, it is roomy inside. Good family car. Used Volvos are good value for your money but new Volvos are not.

Manufacturer needs to think of their cars as luxury automobiles, competing in prices with Lexus, BMW and Mercedes Benz, instead of European concepts of Volvos as merely utility vehicles. Value for money. Better suspension system. Noisy interior. Better interior fit and finish

Last of the Originals
By Dan

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the last of the all-Swedish Volvo, and the turbo and AWD make for an impressive package. I believe this car got lost in the confusion over Ford sale. Agree with many of the past reviews, but the turbo really does give impressive performance to what is a somewhat heavy car. Handling is sure no sports car but not bad either. I bought the car new, then transferred to my mom, who still has it, so we have a good perspective, and the car runs well at 80k miles. On the other hand, the car is noisier than it should be at highway speeds and engine vibration is noticible.

Flexible interior with 60/40 rear seats and large trunk. Very solid feel, but not underpowered. AWD does very well in wet conditions.

As others said, repairs and routine maintainence (which is needed very frequently according to the manual) are expensive. Sometimes the warning light is not joking, and my mom had a $2,000 dealer repair at 50k miles.

Big, safe, and good on gas
By volvo86

1999 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am very happy with my S70. I used to drive an Acura Integra and am very impressed with the fuel economy in my Volvo S70. The S70 is much larger than the Integra, feels much safer and gets the same fuel economy (both 30mpg). These cars cost over $30,000 new and are bargains now. Front and side air bags, Heats seats, head light wipers, cd and tape player, quality leather, dual zone climate, and other luxuries are what made me pick this over a used Honda Accord. Volvos also have legendary reliability and I am hoping this one will continue to be problem free. I have had problems with my Acura (aka Honda). I am having a much better experience with Volvo.

Heated seats, factory 6 inch speakers, safe and fuel efficient (usually don't go together), comfortable, European feel. A very expensive car when new that is now affordable to most.

Bring back the boxy look. I guess my S70's curves will have to grow on me.