Used 2005 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Do Not Make the Same Mistake I Did!
By SCOTT

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

I purchased my 05 Passat TDI due to an increase in my daily commute and was sold on VW's diesel reputation for reliability and economy. After several warranty items were addressed(power window switches, bulbs, door seals, ext. brightwork, antenna, MAF and turbo sensor, battery) I wasn't too confident in the car. Despite my constant engine maintenance(oil change 8000 km with correct oil)the camshaft failed at 122km.($2400 repair) At 131km the oil pump chain tensioner failed.($1200 repair) All parts replaced with VW orig parts, not upgraded or any defects corrected. VW Cda had no interest in answering my calls, letters or questions. Now my fuel economy has dropped to mid 20's for some reason.

The local VW dealership has a great waiting room and associates are very friendly. I love how the car drives and handles when running and is very good in the snow. Except deep snow will tear out the engine belly pan. ($400 plus install) Quiet to drive with the sunroof open at 120 km/hr.

VW must stand behind their products, admit engineering errors and correct faults. My car was OK under warranty if the dealership had loaners available. My most recent loaner was an 01 jetta wagon with 343 km, original engine and transmission. Sadly mine is very unreliable and disappointing.

Worst Car Ever
By Rainey

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used learned my lesson. No one writes reviews of the long term problems. A lot of electrical problems down the road. The gas mileage isn't all that wonderful either when you travel back and forth about a 100 miles a day. Mechanics don't like to work on these cars because they are so difficult to work with. And it is just a money pit. It would be a great car I'm sure brand new, don't buy it used.

comfortable seats, stylish look, sliding arm rest, locking gas cap/trunk

Don't waste your money if it is used, you'll go broke trying to fix it.

Best VW yet
By MichiganVW

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We have owned a bug (1972), Jetta (1987) and Golf (1995), and this Passat (2005). This car was picked by my wife with automatic, but the TDI was my idea. I was slow to warm to this car. Too fancy for my taste. But as time goes on, this car is becoming my favorite sedan. Solid build, no mechanical problems at all, and an ultimate highway ride (with 38-40 mpg!). The planets lined up right for the 2005 Passat TDI. Can't wait for my next VW TDI. I'm hooked.

Solid chassis, firm highway ride, Bridgestone upgrade tires, decent stereo system, diesel mileage, gentle diesel rumble!

Increase hp and torque just a bit. Replace oem tires from Michelin to Bridgestone

Test Drove them ALL - VW Wins
By Herr Schmidt

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

This is the first new car my wife and I ever bought. As it is 'her' car, I had her test drive every possible car on the market, from GM's to BMW's. Family to sports cars. She said she wanted the VW Passat TDI. I went with her and took it for a drive. Roomy and handles like a sports car. Excellent brakes, excellent everything. Now have 100k on the car and not even a hint of anything wrong. We will keep this one until we can't drive any longer.....in about 20 years!!

Lots of power on the highway, great fuel economy +45 miles/gallon and that's at 85 miles/hour on the 4-lane highway! (yes, the rest of traffic was doing the same). Excellent handling, gorgeous interior lights at night.

Move the arm rest forward about 3 inches and have it adjustable for different height of drivers. Power seats would have been a nice option in the TDI version.

There is a reason for the short warranty
By Bill

2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased 2 used VW prior. No issues with them. Finally got my brand new wagon. Love the performance and style. Hate all the issues. I am selling it and not sure what the replacement will be. I have spent more money out of pocket in 4 years on this car than my 10 year old Ford Taurus... by a lot. If VW extended its warranty greater than 36 months, the company would go under with the extra cost. I have contacted VW of America several times and my complaints fell on deaf ears. If you are reviewing for potentially buying a VW, don't buy one.

Love the room of the wagon. I can not count how many times I have filled it. Love the performance and mileage of the 1.8T. The car enjoys corners. With the black and 17 inch spoke wheels, the car is shape sitting still. I have done several 12 hour road trips and could have drove longer.

Too many problems. Oil sludge that was not covered under warranty. 2 coil packs failed during a cold October night driving home with the kids... under warranty but still a headache. A couple electrical issues. Window pin fell out $200 fix. Noise in the front end the Tech can not find.