Used 2003 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Poor Craftsmanship, Gas Mileage, and Reliability
By DJBoca

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car looks nice, rides nice, but then things start to break. I've replaced the convertible top, driver's door, key cylinder, all the window motors, various sensors in the engine, and the convertible flaps. So much goes wrong. I'm in a love / hate relationship with this thing. I love to drive it and I love the windshield angle / distance, but hate the constant breakdowns. A door replacement took three weeks to fix. This car is not worth it. Find something else.

Poor Milage
By Jeff

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I was told when I bought this car it would get 42/52 MPG because it is a deisel I have never even gotten 40 MPG ever! I felt ripped off! by the Dealer! They told me to write to VW, even though the salesman told me and repeatedly told me about the high MPG the best I've ever gotten is 35 MPG city and highway, which isn't bad, but it's not 42 or even 52 as promised by the salesman! I will never buy another car from this DEALER ever again! I feel ripped off every time I fill up.

It handles well, has a great sound system, and the heated seats are a plus in the winter!

Stop lying about the gas milage. A 4 door model would be nice!!! instant heat would be nice.

It's AWESOME
By LuvBug

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has the same engine as the Audi A4 but performs way better than an A4 (I had driven an A4 for a while). It can go fast, and It's fun to drive. The overall handling is very good which I really didn't expect!

My Bug has a rear spoiler that pops up when I go 45 mph or above. I think it's a very very cool feature.

The visor is way too small and can't do anything. I have to tint the windows.

A nice Bug
By Ally

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The pros: Fun with top down, people love to look at it, reliable, zippy power, vinyl no dead cows to sit on, windsheild is not in your face, lots of head room. Some things that disapoint me: The stupidly short sun visor that doesnt even cover 1/4 of the window to block the sun from the side. I had to get one of those kids sun shades that suctions to the giant side window. The seats are not made for long rides or if you have any kind of back trouble. The pedals are high so if you are tall, its hard to get comfortable. I still have trouble adjusting to the seat, doesn't go back far enough. The back seat is for kids only, it has no comfort. I like the car overall but the comfort is poor. Not it is not for old people.

Its zippy power, cute looks, easy top to use.

Better seat comfort! Better sun visors. Bigger trunk.

TDI Plus and Minus
By Terry Thompson

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle GL TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The TDI Beetle is a great idea, I bought it because I assumed it would get good mileage and last a long time. Yes and no. It generally gets good gas mileage but there is a problem. Our diesel fuel isn't all that good and the engine has a tendency to combine some of the bad components with carbon particles which, over time, ends up clogging the intake manifold. There has been a solution (a rather expensive one) but VW no longer supports it. You can get to about 30,000 - 40,000 miles before something has to be done. Know this going in, if VW figures out a solution to this problem, the car is a great buy, if they don't stay away.

The engine has been updated and has more power for 2004. It is a great little car to drive and practical. The back seat folds down completely.

They have to figure out a solution to the fuel problem.