Used 2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

orthless
By B Howard

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought it initially due to high travel. The cheap wheels slipped on wet pavement and were jittery. Although I have had no mechanical issues with the vehicle, now that Toyota' reputation has gone down the crapper, I have a useless piece of crap to trade in or sell. I will not buy another Toyota based on the loss of value at trade-in. And that includes the Toyota dealerships. You are better served to look at other brands. Plain and simple, dont do it!

Not What I Expected
By New England

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased new in early '07, & was initially disappointed car only got 38-39 mpg. Salesman didn't mention anything about needed to learn to drive differently, or art of hypermiling. No one said this when they were hyping 61 mpgs on sticker. Not right. Terrible in snow or slick surfaces even w/traction control, & even after replacing odd size OEM tires with better tires. Feels like you're "slipping" when braking over potholes. Can be scary. Disappointed had to learn to drive like a lil'ol granny to feel somewhat safe in this vehicle. Though driving this slowly reaps 52-54 mpg during spring & summer months. Probably a very good car if one lives in hot, dry climate but not New England.

Mileage is 46-48 in winter. Super quiet ride. Comfortable on short trip (hour or so) for four adults.

A-shaped posts on either side of windshield are blind spots. Especially passenger side when approaching 4-way intersections. Rear window has poor visibility. Front nose paint easily chips & dings. Replaced windshield (cracked by highway pebble) & now have a new rock "ding". Cabin slow to heat up

Economical People Mover
By mickeyrom

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If all that matters is economy...this is a very good car.If comfort on a long trip is important....forget it.The seat has only two adjustments...backward and forward, and angle of the back.The steering wheel can only be tilted,and it constantly makes contact with my knees. Instrument panel is very hard to see in the sunlight and lacks even a temp. gauge.The trip computer has no range position,So you had better not let it get too low.The car also makes lots of noises and does not seem to have the build quality of other Toyotas.A bit of a rattle trap.

Keyless entry and start.Good gas mileage.

Seriously needs a 6 way adjustable driver's seat with a lumbar support.It also needs the items described in my comments above.

Love the Prius But...
By pbonem

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car for all the reasons everyone else loves the car. Always considered it one of my best purchases of any product ever. Never had a complaint until today and, now, I'm think of selling the car. I park in a smallish garage with the hood of the car under a storage shelf; I can't open the hood without backing the car a few feet. And, two nights ago, I left the driver's door ajar, draining the 12 volt battery. That's the 12 volt battery in the far left rear of the car, accessible ONLY via the rear hatchback door that DOES NOT OPEN WITHOUT ELECTRICTY. The solution recommended in the owners manual is to crawl into the back and start disassembling the car from the inside.

first impression
By scott h.

2007 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the car for a month and will review again but for now I love it. At current gas prices ($2.60) I save $1,300 and was surprised to find it is $250 cheaper to insure than a 2003 forester worth a 1/3 the price of an 07 prius. As far as I am concerned it will save me $1500 plus a year x 5 years = $7500 of the $16,000 I paid. I do not consider myself a tree hugger type. If it were an uncomfortable econobox I would not have bought it. That said I do feel good about cutting my gasoline consumption in half.

The computer that trains me in the art of driving like a grandma, mpg's, bluetooth phone, ipod attachment to stereo and steering wheel controls and side curtain airbags. The leather seats are great as well.

Rear visibility is poor and the paint chips easily.