Used 2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Excessive oil consumption
By pardosa

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Like many others on this site, we've been plagued by excessive oil consumption, beginning with the light coming on unexpectedly, and the dealer's telling me that
all Subarus use oil between changes. I have never, ever, experienced this with any other model car I've driven, except late into its life, like 185,000 miles, and then only a quart between changes. This is much worse.

I would happily join a class-action lawsuit, and will certainly never buy another Subaru

Almost paid for.

An engine that does not use oil between changes, and an honest 5000 mile change interval.

This thing is GARBAGE!!!
By markfu

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It burns oil!!!!! My wife bought this new and we just had to have the engine rebuilt because it had no oil in it at the dealership recommended 7500 mile oil change!!!!! The dealership, with a straight face, tells us that 1 quart every 1500 miles is normal??? I have a 1995 Ford Bronco and it burns a quart every 6k miles. Why is it that an engine that is 19+ years old burns less oil than one 3 years old? How is this ok? How did this pass quality controll??? Why, why, why????? Pass these heaps over if you are wise! It is completely insane that a "modern" vehicle burns oil like its a vehicle from the 1970s, INSANE!!!!

Drove it 50,000 miles, Absolutely Reliable!
By xira1

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I just turned in my XT after 3-year lease was up. It never burned a drop of oil between changes and nothing (other than gas door lever) broke. It was 100% reliable through hard use, on and off-road, hauling bikes, kayaks etc. It was
truly my trusted friend, and very fun to drive fast on mountain roads because of the precise, communicative steering. The turbo was powerful.
Got a very good lease price, and when I turned it in, the car was worth more than the residual value, so I got a $1700 credit toward another vehicle.

Fun to drive, "zippy," very good visibility, absolutely reliable. I like the fact I didn't have to get that awful, annoying keyless ignition that most cars are saddled with now. There is nothing like a plain old KEY for convenience and ease of use; it's cheap to replace and you can hide a spare key on, or in, the car. This car feels best on mountain roads and around town-- and it can get you out of snow and deep ruts very nicely because of the 4WD and great power. But on the freeway it is not at its best because it is a high and light vehicle, and emergency maneuvers at 75 MPH do not feel safe due to rollover possibility.

The 4-speed automatic transmission used in 2011 was jerky in some situations: you have to know how to drive it to reduce that sensation. The steering wheel should telescope more; the drivers door arm rest is set too low for resting your arm on long trips; so is the center console (I added a custom bolster I bought online). Not enough leg room for a very tall driver. Front doors are light-feeling which means less protection from side impact. I had to add a back-supporter set (attached seat and back, steel internal supports, memory foam covering, from Relax the Back) to be comfortable driving on a long trip because the driving position is just not good enough for long time periods.

Subaru Forester 2011 Lemon
By yukon13

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I suggest never buying a Subaru.
I purchased my first one strictly due to their perceived reputation.
The 2011 Forester is poorly built.
Body trim pieces have fallen off.
Their is piston ring slap and it burns oil like there's no tomorrow.
Service at Northtown Auto in Amherst NY actually said that this was normal and that Boxer engines are known for burning oil.
After recommended oil changes at 3500 and 7500 miles, I was on my way to my 15000 mile change and the engined developed a low-end knock at 13000.
Turns out, nearly all the oil was gone and there's not a single leak.
Poor quality engine and manufacturing.

It's roomy and the AWD is nice in the winter, but I can get that in another vehicle too.

Better manufacturing and higher quality control. If the service manager who told me that all Boxer engines burn oil was correct, then Subaru ought to look into fixing that instead of selling inferior engines.

guessing
By up6903

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as it was my wife's turn to pick and she wanted something safe. I wanted something economical and comfortable, like a cadilac. No not really but you get the point, seats like a sofa. This car is too narrow and there is no cup holders unless you call the
2 square slots between the seats for my biggulps.
and then they sneak a parking break in the middle too that takes up space for my legroom, 6' I am. The door when one closes it sounds tinny. needs some spray insulation.
Another thing that rattles me is the transmission as when I'm in my
turn right or left it seems to go into neutral and slips and catches as I apply the gas to continue down the street. Service says nothin

Plugging in the I pod, Smart phone through the radio. Like an oil guage if checking is so important. Better than idiot lights.

more seat space for driver. length and width. 3 inches. MOre and better cup holders. Don't like headlight on al the time.