Used 2011 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Subaru Forester 2011 Lemon
By yukon13

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I suggest never buying a Subaru.
I purchased my first one strictly due to their perceived reputation.
The 2011 Forester is poorly built.
Body trim pieces have fallen off.
Their is piston ring slap and it burns oil like there's no tomorrow.
Service at Northtown Auto in Amherst NY actually said that this was normal and that Boxer engines are known for burning oil.
After recommended oil changes at 3500 and 7500 miles, I was on my way to my 15000 mile change and the engined developed a low-end knock at 13000.
Turns out, nearly all the oil was gone and there's not a single leak.
Poor quality engine and manufacturing.

It's roomy and the AWD is nice in the winter, but I can get that in another vehicle too.

Better manufacturing and higher quality control. If the service manager who told me that all Boxer engines burn oil was correct, then Subaru ought to look into fixing that instead of selling inferior engines.

guessing
By up6903

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car as it was my wife's turn to pick and she wanted something safe. I wanted something economical and comfortable, like a cadilac. No not really but you get the point, seats like a sofa. This car is too narrow and there is no cup holders unless you call the
2 square slots between the seats for my biggulps.
and then they sneak a parking break in the middle too that takes up space for my legroom, 6' I am. The door when one closes it sounds tinny. needs some spray insulation.
Another thing that rattles me is the transmission as when I'm in my
turn right or left it seems to go into neutral and slips and catches as I apply the gas to continue down the street. Service says nothin

Plugging in the I pod, Smart phone through the radio. Like an oil guage if checking is so important. Better than idiot lights.

more seat space for driver. length and width. 3 inches. MOre and better cup holders. Don't like headlight on al the time.

WARNING!!! Make sure to check your Oil!!!
By looney3

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you own a 2011 or newer Forester with the new engine requiring synthetic oil, Check/add oil frequently!
Mine requires 1 qt added every 1800 miles on average.
I read an account of another 2011 Forester owner who went just over 10,000 miles without checking or changing the oil, and the engine ran out of oil, seized and was destroyed.
You will need to add 3-4 qts in between oil changes.
Engine rattles loudly at startup for a few seconds.
Subaru needs to fix the problem of oil use.
Most people are not diligent about checking and topping up their oil.
There will be many unhappy owners.

Fix the problem with the engine using so much Oil. This is unacceptable, especially with the oil costing so much money per quart.

Is Subaru slipping?
By ipa_girl

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Forester, the first one used, the rest bought new. I've had it 12 months and have about 18K miles on it.

Overall, the car is fine but I've had problems with little plastic parts falling off left and right. The inside gas lever, the pegs that are supposed to hold the cargo net (fixed 3x), and on and on. This never happened with any of my older models.

They just replaced a recalled part of the child's seatbelt that retracts into the ceiling. Not twenty minutes after driving off the lot, a piece of plastic fell out of it.

Reliable where it counts. Just big enough for my family with a 9 year old and 2 dogs.

Well, try making the interior parts stay put for starters. After that, stronger metal on the outside (it would ding if you threw a marshmallow at it), and less road noise.

Don't be a fool, like I was
By vladikt

2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It took me about 30 days to realize how uncomfortable my Forester is. I guess I was still hyped up to have a brand new car. First of all, it is not a cheap car by any means. Limited Edition is about 26k. I love the exterior and interior looks, the reliability is great as well, BUT the car is automatic transmission is EXTREMELY jerky and the suspension leaves A LOT to be desired. It literary feels as if you are riding a carriage from 18th century. It is really sad that such a beautiful car inside and out has such poor driving characteristics. The most unfortunate thing is that Subaru RUINED Forester 2014, it looks hideous, just as ugly as Impreza. HIDEOUS, how could then destroy such beautifu

Interior and exterior design Reliability