Used 2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Subaru Forester

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

2011 Forester are not representative of the Subaru name
By nornet

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 3 Subarus. The plain old vanilla Legacy sedan was by far the best of the bunch (2008). The Outback Limited (2007) was pretty close behind. The Forester was one of the poorest vehicles I have drive. You can not sit in these seats for more than 2 hours. This problen goes back at least 10 years. My first encounter with a Forester (2000) was in the same quality seats. If you wan't to shuttle around the city than this can be overlooked but
for any distance driving look elsewhere.

Definitely Love my Subaru
By rthomas18

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my subaru in May 2010 - put 22,000 miles on it over the past 6 months -- 2500 where I was towing at the maximum capacity.
I could not be happier with the performance.
The seats could be more comfy, and yes - the cup holders absolutely suck (I was told by a guy in the service department to use a strip of foam-works pretty well). It's a great car at a great price - just wish they offered the leather interior w/the 5-speed!

Offering leather interior w/the 5-speed. Cup Holders that actual hold your cup.

Most annoying vehicle ever
By canuck

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

after 6 months, I am wishing I had never bought this 'thing': 1 - very poor stereo 2 - dealer fixed interior rattles with duct tape and foam, I'm serious, ceiling still rattles 3 - very uncomfortable seats 4 - annoying blue interior lights 5 - poor manual gear box 6 - cheap interior, small controls 7 - no decent drink holder 8 - stupid noisy engine 9 - after turning off engine, it ticks for 10 mins when cooling, like a cheap bike, - normal apparently - maybe for subaru 10 - stupid chime when seat belt not engaged 11 - poor paint job that chips easily 12 - overall rough ride 13 - cannot open door with key if alarm activated without setting it off Buy something else

all the little annoying factors overshadow anything good about this vehicle

fire the guy who designed this thing. I heard that Subaru drivers are loyal to these quirky cars. Maybe they just don't realize that for the money, you don't have to put up with stupidity. Now I'm stuck with it

1st Subaru!
By Sperguy

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car a little over two months. Love the SUV-ish design. Car handles well. Very good mileage. The 5-speed manual is the way to go until they upgrade to what the Outback has for an automatic. Only negative is an overhead rattle. Being a pick-up driver for 25+ years, I was ready for some rattling, but this one IS ANNOYING. I'm currently working with the dealership to solve it. Waiting to see what Subaru will pay for. A local body shop can fix it no problem.

Lots of room. Skis fit nicely inside with rear seat down. My dog loves his space in the back. Yakima rack system integrates well with the fix points on the roof. Looking forward to some road trips this summer.

Better stereo, more sound-proofing to alleviate the rattling.

Rattle solution
By Dr.Trout

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Immediately after purchase, my Forrester performed wonderfully at all speeds on an 1800 mile road trip and with better than advertised mileage. On a dirt road, I got carried away and came face to face with another vehicle on a sharp turn in sand with no way to stop in time. Took a very high bobsled bank on the right in sand and swooned down before my wife's heart had a chance to skip a beat. 2 weeks later a sudden rattle occurred on my way to work. In had put the plates on the night before. The rear one came with only 2 screws. Put 2 more in the bottom holes and presto, no rattle.

Shifts well, much better than the Xterra, which I also considered. Boundaries of the vehicle are well defined and evident to the driver, so parking is easy. Good mileage.

I would be nice if the arm rest came out a little farther. Slightly darker interior to hide the dirt.