Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Low Maintenance
By Ed Hatzidakis

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has 78,000 miles on it and the only thing that was replaced in the engine was a battery. Although it has recall issues that haven't been addressed because of poor service from Dunn Chevy Olds.

2009 Chevy Malibu. (A corript mechanics dream)
By Susan Berger

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Electrical problems galore. Headlights cannot effectively be repaired with out removing the front bumper plus. Changed electrical switch twice which short circuited & fried the battery, alternator and car computer. Cannot lock the back doors automatically. Must exit the car and manually lock the back doors. Front seats are made to crush or dislodge your spine. Hard to see over the dash board. The car I found out recently has many recalls after over paying over $1.450 for repairs!

Dash Lights Flickering
By jim from cincinnati

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Know that GM does not stand by their product....I have taken this car into the dealership several times and left in there for a week only to have them tell me they cannot reproduce the problem. The dash lights intermittently will illuminate very bright and the gauges will not work....temperature; speedometer; fuel gauge; light signals, etc. all do not work....this is a safety issue but GM can't replicate the problem or they don't want to admit it is a problem. 18 months ago I thought they had fixed the problem and told me my radio was the issue and charged me over $800 for a new radio.....I WILL NEVER OWN A CHEVROLET EVER AGAIN....JUNK...JUNK...JUNK

Good car for getting around
By Connor Sweeney

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 6 years now and got it with 72,000 miles on it. I now have around 158k miles on it. Here is a list of Pros and Cons

Pros
-Interior is good looking
-gets around 22-25 mpg (in town)
-stock speakers are nice and loud

Cons
-The turning radius is terrible where it handles worse than a truck
-the parts inside the vehicle are all cheaply made so they break quicker
-seats are a little uncomfortable for longer rides. The seats fold inward where it creates a divet where the back seat and the butt seat connect (not good for lower back)
-no lumbar support.

Here’s what I’ve had to fix so far
-all new door lock actuators (prices at $350 a piece professionally)
-turning signal knob
-catalytic converter and exhaust manifold
-tire rods multiple times

I'd rather have my 1972 Ford Pinto Back!!!
By Timothy Keller

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Where to start??? $140.00 to change a headlight at dealership. No access without taking the whole front clip off. Designer certainly doesn't have this car. Engine light comes on if the wind blows the wrong way. I've had a number of recall notices. Most of which tell me not to do anything until I experience the problem listed in the recall, steering, electrical, fogged up front glass. All of which may be too late by the time the problem happens. Traction is good if I never get any rain or snow. I almost got rear ended by a dump truck because my brake light didn't light up. luckily there I was watching in the rear view mirror and quickly pulled off the road to avoid that collision. Oh, and I was now able to to have that fix under the recall. Without going on and on, about the problems I've had with this car, I'd just like to say GM should buy everyone of these death traps back from the people who spend their money on them. C'on, who did GM have to payoff to allow these vehicles to be sold to the public. They knowingly put the drivers and everyone else on the roads in danger. I'll never own another GM vehicle!!! Update: 11/21/2017, Finally able to trade-in the Malibu for a 2012 Ford Escape. I've been so happy and much less worried since then. Like I said, I'll never buy another GM product again.