Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

A Car Don't
By rsg71

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, and it has been in the shop nearly every year.
Last year, it was in the shop 3 times, and it it would be on it's way again if I wasn't getting rid of it!
The fuel pump, lower intake gasket, anti-theft sensor that won't turn off (the key IS in the ignition), and then some routine maintenance things.
I don't mind paying routine up keep of a car, but the parts and labor is outrageous for the most basic things!
The thing that appalls me the most- Chevy KNOWS about these problems but has done nothing to make it right by their customers.
Will not own GM again.

The interior is roomy.

Deal with known issues. Lower intake gasket that goes out because of Dex-Cool anti-freeze that is required. Anti-theft system that won't turn off or let the car start even though the key is in the ignition because of known tumbler issues. The insane cost of parts.

What a waste of$
By megsymc

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I find it comical how similar everyone's story's are. I have to laugh because this car has been a nightmare. The electronic issue is just ridiculous, no one should have to wait ten minutes to start their car because the car thinks someone's trying to steal it. I have only owned the car for a little over a yr & put nearly $3K into it. Fuel pump, gasket, water pump, coolant leak, brakes, catilitic convertor, spark plugs... you name it I've fixed it. I refuse to fix the electronic cylander or put new tires on it. Don't ever buy this car. I wouldn't even sell it to someone. I'm junking it.

NONE

The electronic system should be completely different so the car doesn't think it's being stolen.

Many, many problems
By jodi7

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a year ago, in that time I have replaced tires, brakes, fuel pump, blinker switch, battery, oil pump switch, intake manifold, gasket, water pump, and currently the head gasket is also leaking. The car continues to have an electrical problem, sometimes the windows will power up or down, sometimes not, only half of the lights work, and the car has a continous intermittant starting problem that cannot be fixed, I never know if I'll be sitting for an hour or two waiting for this car to start. currently the car is broken down, I've decided not to fix the head gasket and as someone who loves american cars I'll be looking to buy a japanese car for my next one.

when the car starts and runs without problems

Have everything actually work the way its supposed to.

OMG! What is not wrong with this junk?
By Jacki

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Everything that everyone has been saying. Brakes, fuel pump, brakes, engine, brakes. You get my point.

Sleek look

Don't
By LS

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my 16th birthday with about 40k on it. Immediately, we had to replace the computer in it, as well as the ignition switch. Then the brakes went out. Then I had a leak in my engine coolant (too expensive to repair at the time- $800++, and still unfixed). Then the catalytic converter. Then the fuel pump. Then the brakes again. Then the theft system shorted out. Then the ignition switch again. Now, the computer is acting up again... I have to reset the computer each time before I start it. It only has 96k on it now. We have spent at least $5k in repairs on this car. Probably more. My dad just bought a new Malibu, and it seems nice though. Time will tell. I won't buy 1.

Automatic lights & windows. car stereo stays on until the driver opens the door.

Everything.