Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 204 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great performance, expensive repairs
By William Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely loved driving this car, but I highly recommend a repair warranty. When something breaks, and it will, the warranty will pay for itself. Sports seats are great for the front seat, but the back is slightly cramped.

There R more reliable cars out there
By Mike

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I always admired BMW'S, kids gone I was finally able to buy one. I found a very nice one owner 328XI with 60k on the clock. I had the car one week before the troubles started. The car decided to Randomly start, Hot ,Cold it didn't matter. Took the car to a certified BMW repair facility and was told it was a fuel pump, and or possibly fuel relay. Cost $1500 to replace both components. I declined bought both parts offline and put them in ($300). Problem was it didn't fix the car so back on the wrecker it went. (Did I mention Car spends lots of time on a wrecker). New shop new diagnosis, bad DMI Board. The DMI board fixed the problem. Nothing on these cars are cheap to fix, this repair with reprogramming was $1300.00. All was good for about 2 weeks and the car literally quit running at 50 MPH (no power steering -no brakes to speak of) Again on the wrecker it went. Diagnosis bad battery and programming issues. Ok, a Battery no big deal $240 for the battery $100.00 to program it (No, you can't just swap batteries in newer BMWs ) and of course $100 to put battery in (Labor) so roughly $450.00 for a new battery. All was good for about 3 months. The car was excellent in the snow a pleasure to drive. performance unequaled to anything else I've owned. Gas mileage is excellent fora performance car. I'm thinking finally got the bugs out of it,really enjoying it AND BAM total shutdown AGAIN at 45 MPH. On the wrecker again 3rd time in less than 7months. Diagnosis the computer decided it didn't want to talk to the car. To fix the car needs to be completely reprogrammed another $500 with towing. The repair shop did tell me though BMW is aware of cars losing communication with the ECU. (service Bulletin) They seem to be aware of a lot of the problems their cars have. They like the word "service bulletin" basically we have a problem(s) with such and such, but you will have to pay to have it fixed. Recalls? this car has 3-- one major that could result in a fire (Heater Motor) I guess it will burn as BMW in my area has no parts to fix recall, unknown when they will receive them. These stories are all over the web like mine. Remember this is a 60k one owner car that is about as reliable as a watch with a dead battery. Sad that in my opinion they have "trashed their reputation with sub standard un reliable cars . My first and definitely last BMW

Do not buy BMW! Piece of junk!!!
By BMW Sucks!

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a BMW 328i with 40K miles on it. The car starts loosing oil at 45K it was leaking oil from everywhere, valve gaskets, oil pan, transmission etc. then, idle issues, car just stop running sensors issues, stereo did not show display anymore, headliners came off.. I can keep going with so many issues at 50K I just got rid of it, this car will spend half of the time on the shop and repairs are very pricy! My advice, do not buy it avoid headache! If you want a good luxury reliable car then get a LEXUS they stand by quality, reliability and reputation! BTW towing companies make good money on Germany cars!!!

So far, so good.
By Darcey Kobs

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Be sure to check if the run flat tires have been replaced with regular tires before buying this car used. Check for spare tire.

best first car
By hillary

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got this car when I was young and it was the best decision I have ever made. As of now, it has 104,000 miles on it but still runs like a gem. I've had a couple problems, like the starter going and the speedometer staying at 0, but nothing that the dealership can't fix in a couple days. Next, this car has a very good air/heat system and seat warmers. Also, the speakers that come with this car are unreal. You can feel the bass all over. Overall, it is a high quality car that really changes the way you drive. I recommend the 2008 328i for any young or older driver.