2006 Volvo XC90 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:
You get what you pay for
By Corby on 11/21/06 05:20 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my XC90 for just over a year now. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned but has some small drawbacks that I can overlook. The driver seat is already starting to feel as if it is wearing on the outer bolster. Overall it handles great for its size and does better than great on the autobahn in Germany at speed. The 6-speed tip-tronic changes are somewhat slushy during gear changes. I still compare it to the Touareg and LR3 that my co-workers have and I find it to be a better vehicle than theirs. Some of the options could come down in price. Over $3k for navigation is too much. I bought an aftermarket system for less than $600. But you pay quality money for a quality SUV.

Sorry but I don't miss Z4 or C230 much
By z4jjazzman on 11/18/06 08:36 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I had two cars b4 this and they were MB C230 and BMW Z4. Believe it or not I don't miss much of those two. They were both great get away cars but neither were comfortable cars. XC90 is just one extremely comfortable car to drive and I looked at Tourag seriously but it was little too small and I just couldn't risk VW's reliability. I had 2002 GTI and was in shop every two weeks and lasted less than 2 yrs. My brother just bought new 2006 Passat.. stopped on next day of purchase.. Rear AC was not working and turns out vent was missing. What a poor built quality. Beware of VW!

Not the Volvo of old
By ghoward on 11/04/06 07:01 AM (PST)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After owning Volvo's for years, I tried other brands over the last 5 years, Infinity and Lexus. This year I decided it was time to return to Volvo's and purchased a 2006-XC90. It is not the Volvo I drove and loved for years! I still like the safety aspects of the vehicle, but the dependability and feel are gone for me. The cabin is loud and the ride is rough. I had to have it towed to back to the dealer two weeks after I bought it when it would not start. I will not be a Volvo customer in the future. The other premium brands have left them in the dust.

Florida Volvo XC90
By Gerry Kirkpatrick on 10/28/06 18:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I enjoy driving this vehicle and feel extremely safe in it My only disappointment is in the gas mileage. I traded in a Tahoe in perfect condition to get rid of the 8 cylinder engine only to get less gas mileage. If I had know about the mileage I would have gone with the more powerful 8 cyl.Volvo as it had a smoother ride and more power on the road.

Awesome SUV
By Gary Howard on 10/16/06 10:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

From the delivery from Neftin Volvo ( awesome dealership) the XC90 has been my favorite car ever. Rides like a magic carpet and off roads like rhino. I LOVE IT!

lMy first volvo-
By Michele on 10/14/06 14:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I waited 2 yrs for this car! Needed the suv body style, very happy with this! A few minor problems (computer errors). At 25,000 miles, had to replace tires. Not happy about that. Was told its common on Awd suvs?! Would like to know what other owners think about this.

Volvo XC90
By Jeannie on 10/14/06 08:10 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My Volvo XC90 is my new favorite automobile. I am a very particular consumer who spends a great deal of time researching before buying a new auto. This vehicle has been my most satisfying purchase yet. I may never leave Volvo if they keep making this vehicle! It is everything a professional mom could want...both sexy and safe! I am considering a volvo for my son when he gets his lisence soon.

Our experience
By GFamily on 10/14/06 08:02 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought the car because we thought it would be useful, versatile, fun liked the design. We are not disappointed in any way and are happy with our purchase.

XC90 Ocean Race Edition
By Bill on 10/05/06 03:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 Volvo Ocean Race Edition 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I replaced a BMW X3 with this car. As I wanted a little more room, I compared it to the 2006 BMW X5. The ORE is a better value. Hesitant about the V-8, but average mileage is 20.0 mpg in mixed driving. My 2.5L X3 averaged 22 mpg. I gave up 2 mpg for an extra 125 h.p., a smoother ride and more room -an excellent trade off. Excellent storage and cargo space. Very quiet ride.

Bad Bad SUV. Frustrated
By Me on 10/03/06 20:24 PM (PDT)

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased the Volvo XC90 V8 due to the safety and convenience features. I have nothing but problems with the SUV. It stalls and is a hazard. Upon checking the internet, there are many purchasers that have had problems with the Volvo XC90. Next time I will stick to Toyota/Lexus. This Volvo is a headache. By the way, this is supposed to be my wife's SUV. She is 7 months pregnant. She will not be driving this vehicle! Another issue is the towing capacity. It is rated at 5000 pounds. This is with the driver only. Any passengers and cargo decreases this capacity rapidly. Also, it requires a transmission cooler and brake controller. The dealers won't install them.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.