Used 2006 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Perfect Family Car
By Alex

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this Volvo one summer and have been loving it ever since. The car is very spacious and is very kid proof. If you have small children it is great because its got a built in booster seat and moves forward so the parts and reach the child easier. The XC90 5 Cylinder can be slow at times but when you step on it, it goes and handles very well. The rides very smooth and for the price comes with so many options. You can pay 10000 more for a BMW X5 with all the same features but not the same safety.

Sunroof, all the seats fold flat and all of them are power. Power everything and just a really solid car.

Solid as a rock
By Brady

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We've had the XC90 since Dec. 05 and have only performed scheduled maintenance. Comfort, safety, and reliability have been excellent.

Comfort of seats, storage room

Audio system a bit weak, gas mileage

Nice vehicle with it's share of issues
By bluedak

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my wife's vehicle, which she loves. I am less enthusiastic, as I wish it were more reliable. So far in less than 2 years of having the vehicle, there have been 5 recalls. We have had a dead battery requiring the vehicle to be towed (bad cell). We have had a rear wheel bearing go bad. Both of these occurred at under the 17k currently on it. Factory Pirelli Scorpion zero tires practically bald at less than 12k and replaced on my dime.

Excellent safety features, great looking vehicle

Better tires suited to vehicle, engineer a little more reliability into the car

2006 Volvo XC90 AWD V8 4dr SUV (ocean)
By socaltess

2006 Volvo XC90 V8 Volvo Ocean Race Edition 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Got this car for thousands off because I bought it in 2007 when it was a 2006 model, but it was new. Very happy with the looks outside and inside. After a 5 months I had some problems, some anti-skid message that kept coming up, they said it was a computer problem but it happened twice. Possibly due to extremely horrible speed bumps where I live the car began making weird clicks when the gas/brakes were pressed; brake pads, alignment, sub-frame, etc all needed work. Right window makes whistling noise. DVD system headphones sound fuzzy sometimes. Very fast for an SUV, and I always feel safe.

Big engine, very fast for an SUV. GPS system, pricey but I love the positioning and very very easy to use, and can be used while in motion. Extremely comfortable seats. Love the tailgate, it is great to sit on! I also drive a 550i but find myself missing the Volvo.

Gas mileage, stereo system is horrible, impossible to get iPod integration without removing the entire system and spending tons of money. Better reliability.

First and last Volvo
By kyle

2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car for the first couple of weeks. Then it would not accelerate. It took four trips to the dealer, and me having to drive the car for them. They had to change the fuel tank, and pump. Lots of noises and clunks, that they can't fix.

Plenty of interior room.

Ford needs to sell Volvo to somebody who can build cars. Gas mileage